Summer feeding habits

K

karen

Has anyone else found that their newts eat less in the summer? I try to keep my apartment cool by leaving the AC on, so the water temperature doesn't go above 70 F, but my 2 newts (nvv's) seem less interested in eating. They both seem to enjoy their land masses more now, although they do go in the water still. They seem as active as usual, but they're both definitely eating less. Should I be concerned or is this a seasonal thing?

In theory, newts should eat more during hot weather, as heat increases their metabolism. But there are a couple of reasons why they might eat less. (1) They spend more time on land (which is typical for some newts during hot weather), and their metabolism is slower on land, so they need less food. (2) Being on land disrupts their normal feeding habits. In other words, if they eat in water, but they are not in the water as often, they have less opportunity to eat. (3) If the heat is bad enough to be causing them genuine stress, a stressed newt will usually not eat.

I'm not really sure if you should be concerned or not, but hopefully this will help you decide.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back