Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What to do next with eggs and hatchlings

LeviSJ

Reaction score
Axolotl eggs-preparing for hatching

Ok so i recieved my eggs two days ago and there all in a tub. None have hatched yet but there is some brown dirt or what i at least think is dirt in the tub with the eggs that came with them when they hatched and ended up in the tub with them. What im unsure of is do i need to be changing the water whilst there not hatched or do i wait till they hatch? Because if they take another two days then the water will be five days old, four of which had this brown 'dirt' in it. Thanks for the help guys Oh and theres only six eggs if that makes a difference

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Axolotl eggs-preparing for hatching

Eggs don't need water changes. You can change it to remove the dirt if it makes you feel more comfortable.

LeviSJ

Reaction score

Thanks but if theres no need i shall wait incase i harm the eggs

millerj76

Reaction score

When i bought eggs they seemed to look a bit dirty, like small pieces of debris from the tank they were probably laid in. My eggs were fine, they hatched well so nothing to worry about, how old are your eggs?

LeviSJ

Reaction score

Thanks for that. One lot of eggs are 18 days old now but two of those three hatched this morning. I also have another 3 eggs which are about 10 days old

LeviSJ

Reaction score
I currently have 4 eggs in a tub along with 2 hatchlings that hatched this morning. I know i need to be doing 50% water changes every day for the hatchlings and plan on moving them into another container but if i can avoid it, I would rather not move the eggs that still haven't hatched as one of them was moving like crazy earlier but Im not expecting them to hatch for another week. Any advice? Thanks

millerj76

Reaction score
If you have another container then just transfer the hatchlings, mine were fine going into the fresh water, obviously make sure the water temperature is the same.

lollypop

Reaction score
I tended to find that Gentley using a spoon to move the eggs to another container and using a turkey baster to change the water in the hatched lots tub, was the easiest way,

As its a lot easier to 'catch'an egg. :D

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!