Is driftwood safe?

L

leah

Right now I have one axolotl in an approx. 30gal. tank. I want to completely change the setup, and am wondering if I can use driftwood in an axolotl tank? I know the driftwood will release tannins into the water which will make it slightly acidic, but just how much will it really affect my current pH of 7.4? Would some crushed coral in with the new sand substrate I'm adding be enough to counter the effects of the driftwood?

I guess my best option would be plastic replicas of the wood, but will plants grow as well on these? Or maybe some lava rock? The cost here is about the same for the real and the plastic... am I better to go with the fake wood?

Now a bit off topic- this is my plan for the new decor. I'm going to drain the tank and use aquarium sealant to build a slate wall along the back side of the tank, with a little ledge jutting out from the middle to about a third of the way towards the front wall. I'll probably add some more small shelves higher up, and I was thinking I could probably get some moss growing on the rock above the water level (tank is only about 2/3 full.) How would I go about attaching the moss?

The substrate is going to be sand. I'd like some of that fine white beach sand if I could, but would it be too salty? Is there a way of getting all of the salt out of the sand? on top of the sand will be larger flatish black river stones and more slate. I think the rocks will provide a nice contrast with Falkor, who's white.

Lastly, I'll be adding some plants- going to try carpeting the place with java moss and riccia, and making a jungle of anubias, water sprites, some pygmy chain sword, and java moss.

It'll still be a while before I get started, but already I can't wait!
biggrin.gif
Is there anything else I should add?

For tannins, it depends on the driftwood. A few pieces of what are called "Malaysian driftwood" that I used leach nothing to my knowledge and had the advantage of sinking almost immediately.

Plants will attach to lava rock just as they would to driftwood-doubtful with most plastic pieces.

You will need some high light and ferts to grow a "jungle" that you are thinking of. I'd reccomend using java moss in replacement of riccia in the foreground, or simply use either dwarf sag or E. tenellus. Check out compact flourescent fixture and try to get around 2 wpg.

You could also be cheaper and simply use java fern, moss, and anubias, and omit the higher light plants, but this will tend to be static and take a long time to grow out(which, depending on the person involved, could be a good thing).

For aquatic plants, best look to most aquarium related sites. Some sites are quite knowledgeable in the art of growing aquatic plants. I have a 46 gallon bowfront that is going quite well now-would make a great home for any semiaquatic or aquatic sallie if the fish weren't there-but that won't happen.
happy.gif

Thanks Joseph! One of the fish stores here has some driftwood with some STUNNING anubias nana already attached. The plant is huge, I can only think how long it's taken for it to grow! It's a bit pricey, but I've never seen such a gorgeous plant!

I was leaning towards the low-light plants because I wasn't sure if my axolotl would be able to handle the higher lighting. Once the plant cover is established, it wouldn't be a problem though, I don't think?

My favourite site for anything fish or aquatic plant related is www.wetwebmedia.com , and their forums, http://wetwebfotos.com/talk ... can you suggest any others?

Is there a particular reason for staying away from the riccia, or is it just not as hardy as the java moss?

Thanks again

i often use artificial wood/decorations. you can get plants to grow upon them but it requires some 'training'. java moss is notorious and will grow on and around just about anything-another low light plant i like is java fern (no relation??). with the fern i have actually been able to tie the roots in knots about some objects. to help train this stuff it requires fishing line-wrap it about the moss and root structures you want to train-if its a difficult plant to secure you may want to try to use the moss to help anchor it. tie the line tight so that the inhabitants will not get stuck in it and once the plants have learned what to adhere to you can cut away the line and remove it from your tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back