Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much is too much

kshorter7

Reaction score
Questions

I heard the the wildtype axolotls do not live their average length of time because of mutations and that is why they are selled cheaper. Is this true?

What are the average prices for an axolotl? I know someone who only paid around 20 dollars at a pet store but all of the web sites I have looked at are charging at least 40 plus shipping. I would love to own an axolotl but dont want it to cost me an arm and a leg.

I know you can feed axolotls worms and some type of pellets, but my question is how often? If you give them worms, do you feed them daily?

Is six inches the stage where the Axolotls get out of the caniblism stage? And about how old are they once they are six inches?

What does GFP stand for?! Sorry I am new to this lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin21114

Reaction score
Re: Wildtype

I would think the opposite would be true if there's any variation in lifespan at all. All the special colors come from inbreeding. Kind of like how mutts are generally healthier than purebreds, or I guess less prone to genetic defects if not "healthier".

Martin21114

Reaction score
Expect to pay about $35 shipping + cost of animal if you buy a juvenile axolotl that you are not picking up in person. People here routinely sell them for roughly $10-$25 each (check the for sale section).

Another option (though not necessarily less expensive in the end, but it can be) is to buy eggs (usually $1-$2/each), have them shipped priority mail for about $5-$8. Then hatch and grow them. This leads to things like a brine shrimp hatchery or daphina culture. Both of which can be had cheaply or expensively, depending on how you do it. My brine shrimp hatchery was a 1 gallon water bottle with an air tube in it, sub optimal but it worked.

Having done both, I prefer hatching eggs. There's daily excitement in watching how the larvae develop, hatch, then start growing like crazy and sprouting limbs. Plus they feel more like your babies when they come from an egg instead of half-grown in the mail, but that's just me and I'm a tremendous nerd for stuff like this :D

Either way, axies are awesome, and I'm sure you'll enjoy yours if you get one.

millerj76

Reaction score
Hi, prices are always going to be different in different locations, some place's that can source them easily will probably price them quite fairly, but in places that can't get them easily they will probably charge a little more. Here in the uk, the average price i have seen is £18.00, this is for the wildtype variety, not very often do i see any other colour variety in shops here. Regardless of price, what you want to keep in mind is, wherever you manage to get one from, it's always good to see how their axolotls are kept, are they healthy normal specimens with no deformities, and does the shop have a good reputation. Unfortunately, there are people who will sell you bad stock and theres nothing worse than spending your hard earned dollars, only to be let down with a sick animal and no chance of a refund. Anyway i hope you find yourself a nice axolotl at a good price, they are awesome little creatures, good luck.

millerj76

Reaction score
Re: Wildtype

I would think the only reason wildtypes are sold cheaper is because they are more common than the other varieties.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I merged all your questions in this one thread. Please, don´t make new threads for such basic and small questions. You can edit your post and add new questions, or simply post responses in the same thread. If your goal is gaining access to the classifieds section by quickly accumulating posts, and you persist, future posts like this will be deleted (and you will receive an infraction).

xxianxx

Reaction score
I would feed juvies every day, as they get older the days they feed can be reduced . Axolotls never stop being cannibals, adults will eat smaller axolotls till the day they die, the "cannibal phase" that people refer to is during their early months when they are ravenous, they constantly want to eat to grow, this makes them bite at things which pass them , often it is a siblings leg. Growth rates vary , an adult axolotl could be six inches or it could be about six months old, though it may take longer to get to that size.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!