Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Juvenile versus adult....

peatea

Reaction score
I have had a search and am wondering how people specifically determine when their axoltl has moved from the juvenile stage to an adult? Our axolotls are eating everyday - sometimes two times per day (hatched on 4 September). Just trying to figure out when we should start to space out their feeds? Thanks

SuperSteve

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I read somewhere that an axolotl can reach sexual maturity in just six months depending on quantity and quality of food. Mine have grown very quickly. I have no feeding routine. I just check every day and make sure there's always food in the tank. Here are some good food choices in size order-
Baby brine shrimp- For newly hatched larvae.
Baby daphnia- Ditto, can set up a low cost hatchery.
Brine shrimp- But they die after about an hour if left uneaten
Daphnia- Good choice as they can live in the tank until eaten.
Bloodworms- Quite messy but axies seem to like them
Maggots- Can be bought in any fishing shop, cheap but turn to castors if not kept cold/refrigerated.
Prawns- Can be expensive especially if you have more than a couple of axies.
Mealworms- Cheap and easy to breed, to stop them floating on the top of the tank feed them slices of carrots every few days.
Earthworms- Can be dug up from your own back garden if you have the time.

Experiment with em a bit they'll love it :)

FX1C

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I read somewhere that an axolotl can reach sexual maturity in just six months depending on quantity and quality of food. Mine have grown very quickly. I have no feeding routine. I just check every day and make sure there's always food in the tank. Here are some good food choices in size order-
Baby brine shrimp- For newly hatched larvae.
Baby daphnia- Ditto, can set up a low cost hatchery.
Brine shrimp- But they die after about an hour if left uneaten
Daphnia- Good choice as they can live in the tank until eaten.
Bloodworms- Quite messy but axies seem to like them
Maggots- Can be bought in any fishing shop, cheap but turn to castors if not kept cold/refrigerated.
Prawns- Can be expensive especially if you have more than a couple of axies.
Mealworms- Cheap and easy to breed, to stop them floating on the top of the tank feed them slices of carrots every few days.
Earthworms- Can be dug up from your own back garden if you have the time.

Experiment with em a bit they'll love it :)

That feeding list would be better to list earthworms as the first & best choice.

The other items are not as good
BBS & Daphnia - Only good for tiny.
Bloodworms - are ok but not great.
Prawns - Not great esp if saltwater.

Earthworms are the best & easiest balanced diet.

As for leaving food in the tank - not recommended unless its live. Best to remove uneaten / unwanted after a few minutes - otherwise the water quality may suffer.

<3 >o_o< <3

peatea

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses! We currently feed our axolotls earthworms on a daily basis and occasionally some soft pellets (axolotl approved) so we know they will eat them just in case we ever need to have someone else feed them for us who isn't too keen on worms! We don't leave the food in the tank - anything left over is removed - but generally we hand feed them and give each of them a worm and a half to two worms at least once a day.

I'm wondering about when we should be spacing out their feelings a bit more. Is there an age or a size when this should happen?

Thanks

Kerry M

Reaction score
I have found that these babies seem to want to eat twice daily at the moment. When I miss the morning feed they are crying out for me when they see me arrive with food after work. I was hoping that they would eat once daily or with any luck once every two days by nine months. I would be interested to hear whether this is feasible or possible. I will be going away for a month so will need to set up their babysitting schedule.

peatea

Reaction score
I have found that these babies seem to want to eat twice daily at the moment. When I miss the morning feed they are crying out for me when they see me arrive with food after work. I was hoping that they would eat once daily or with any luck once every two days by nine months. I would be interested to hear whether this is feasible or possible. I will be going away for a month so will need to set up their babysitting schedule.

They are hungry little ones! Hopefully, someone with experience will answer - I'd be very keen to know as well... :happy:

Zidartha

Reaction score
Also wondering about this answer. Or at what size are they considered adults that can be fed on alternate days?

Kerry M

Reaction score
One of your axies' siblings has black finger nails today, or I only noticed today. She is five months. However she is twice the size of many of the others so perhaps she reached maturity earlier than the rest. And she sure eats a lot. I could never space her feeds out further than a day at this point (well I don't think so anyhow).

tigmades

Reaction score
Bloodworms - are ok but not great.

:O I thought I read they were excellent for axies! However, I noticed frozen bloodworms are rated as only "good" on here: Caudata Culture Articles - Food Items for Captive Caudates.

I checked our reptile store, and they have Phoenix Worms (which are rated as excellent by that article)... I'm wondering if these could be used as a substitute for the frozen bloodworms then, for my 2" axies?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Phoenix worms have excellent nutritional value.

I start feeding mine every other day when they're around 4 inches (10cm).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1