Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Not eaten in 6weeks and has red rash

hypno monkey

Reaction score
Hi, it has now been six weeks since my neices axie last ate. she has 2 and the other one eats just fine. Shealso seems to have some kind of redish rash on her body. We have tried earthworms, bloodworms, mytis shrimp, beefheart ......... everything we could think of and still nothing. She had her water tested at the pet shop and they said it was in good condition. We thought it may have had gravel from the pet shop in her tummy so fridged her and she passed nothing but poop, was in the fridge for 3 weeks (daily water changes 100%). We are stumped as to what the problem could be. Any advice or input greatly appreciated.

Jade

hypno monkey

Reaction score
here is a photo or the rash

Didnt mean to post this here

Attachments

• DSC00696.jpg
    DSC00696.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 3,662
  • DSC00695.jpg
    DSC00695.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 3,701
Last edited:

hacelepues

Reaction score
Can I say that she looks very good for not having eaten anything in 6 weeks. Her weight looks normal. I'm not sure what that could be... was she overfed a lot before?

And as for the rash, when I fridged my axie she got a few red dots here and there, which went away after a few days. It could be some kind of skin irritation due to the cold. I'd give it a few days of normal temps and see if there is any improvement. If there isn't, then maybe try giving her a tea bath?

lea

Reaction score
A tea bath might help her skin like hacelepues said.

stefan429

Reaction score
Hi, it has now been six weeks since my neices axie last ate. she has 2 and the other one eats just fine. Shealso seems to have some kind of redish rash on her body. We have tried earthworms, bloodworms, mytis shrimp, beefheart ......... everything we could think of and still nothing. She had her water tested at the pet shop and they said it was in good condition. We thought it may have had gravel from the pet shop in her tummy so fridged her and she passed nothing but poop, was in the fridge for 3 weeks (daily water changes 100%). We are stumped as to what the problem could be. Any advice or input greatly appreciated.

Jade

Did you try a tea bath? If so, did it work? My axolotl is developing red spots too

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1