Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Creating A Salamander Friendly Habitat in the Backyard

iamamonster

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

Im expecting a lot of slugs in the yard next year, and I found out that salamanders eat slugs.

I want to know how I could create an environment that attracts salamnders because I want to even out the slugs!

If anyone is up for this unique challenge, please reply!

Thank you

iamamonster

Reaction score
Colin!

Right now I just have a yard.
Next Spring I will have huge mounds of dried leaves, as in raised grow beds for veggies and stuff.

I plan on putting in a small "bog" for cleaning water from a small pond I will install.

But for now, are there any terrestrial solutions?

iamamonster

Reaction score
I have no idea what kind to expect!
I just want to attract the local species into my yard to live...that way they can keep the slug population from exploding...

What kind do you think are in my area? Northeastern. By lake Ontario

iamamonster

Reaction score
would you happen to know what kind of things i need in my yard to attract more salamanders?!?!?!

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
The old addage 'build it and they will come' holds true here. You'll want to create lots of cover with rotting logs, stones, etc. Thats all you can do really, just make it to where they will want to come.

iamamonster

Reaction score
So rocks and rotten logs will be where they live/hide in the day time?
I assume the rocks have to be jagged so they have a little spot to burrow underneath?

Would it be a good idea to place these objects near my raised beds? I assume the slugs will live in the raised beds...along with tonnes of earthworms...but those are the good guys, its the slugs I want controlled.

Anything else I can add?
maybe a shallow dish of beer near the logs, making a slug buffet for the sallies???

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
The rocks don't have to be jagged, just big enough to give them some good cover. You'll want to place these objects preferably in a dark, moist, shady area.

iamamonster

Reaction score
Well I will give that a try with the limbs I will be taking off my trees.
I'll just lay the logs there and cover with some dirt and leaves, the rotting should take care of it self. I hear rotten logs hold water really well too!

I found this site for Salamanders in my province
http://cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/subsite/glfc-amphibians/salamanders
pretty cool

Right now I'm trying to learn as much as I can

iamamonster

Reaction score
Thanks Johnny
There will be no chemicals of that sort in my yard, thats for sure.
Its against permaculture ethics, probably.
I might have a dog come next spring, but thats just something I will have to work around.

Im curious as to how salamanders might get into my yard??
I've read that they only wander around when it is very wet out.
Would it help if I purposely made a wet, muddy path that connects my yard to the stream behind my house?
A trail of logs? A trail of rocks??
I dont know...

How would you guys make a dream home for a bunch of salamanders??

Brian M

Reaction score
Redbacked salamanders wont be able to handle any slug i've ever seen...best bet is to build your pond for the american toad. They're cabable of eating thousands of slugs from april till october. If there's a vernal pool nearby spotted salamanders are a possibility.
If the slugs end up out numbering the amphibians which is likely the best solution that is earth friendly is CHEAP BEER. Pour some beer into a shallow saucer pan and they'll drink till they pass out and drouwn..lol...no pesticides necessary and the sallies dont get hurt either. Works like a charm in rhode island and i have a man made pond and two red maple swamps loaded with salamanders and frogs. Damn slugs just breed too fast especially with all this rain.

Melmo

Reaction score
It won't end with salamanders. With prey, comes predators. Slugs>Salamanders>Garter Snakes>so on. It could end up being a self sustaining ecosystem with time! I've seen some people create vernal pools, which brought many frogs to their yard. Make sure that there are no pesticides in use though, or else all the animals can die. Good luck.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Thanks Johnny
There will be no chemicals of that sort in my yard, thats for sure.
Its against permaculture ethics, probably.
I might have a dog come next spring, but thats just something I will have to work around.

Im curious as to how salamanders might get into my yard??
I've read that they only wander around when it is very wet out.
Would it help if I purposely made a wet, muddy path that connects my yard to the stream behind my house?
A trail of logs? A trail of rocks??
I dont know...

How would you guys make a dream home for a bunch of salamanders??

Well, what I would do, if I did not live in a nearly caudate free area, is research which species live in your immediate area, and then build a site to meet their needs. For instance, if I were to build a vernal pool type of spot in my yard, I would end up with lots of Bufo cognatus, Rana pipiens, Hyla chrysocelis and Pseudacris maculata right off the bat. Over a period of a few years if I am ultra super mega uber-lucky, I may get a few Ambystoma texanum.

No need for a special path, like Justin said, If you build it they will come...probably in the spring when it is time to breed.

Another way to research what to build, is take some hikes in your area and look for salamanders in the wild, then take pictures of the places where you found them. Use these as reference. While you are at it, take some pictures of the salamanders too, then share them in the field herping forum...;)

iamamonster

Reaction score
Brian M, from your experience, how can I gear my pond for the american toad?

Thats a really good idea, to take a hike, look for sallies and imitate the habitat I find them in. Thank you, I will definitely do that!
So the best places to look would be near water, under rocks and logs?
Would I find more sallies where there is running water? Johnny, you mentioned temporary pools. those maybe a little hard to identify, im no pro.

I also like the idea of creating a mini self sustaining ecosystem in my yard. That way nature takes care of it self and I dont have to spend time keeping everything in order.
Question about this: A good habitat for garter snakes is a brush pile (basically a huge pile of sticks and logs). If this pile is located between my yard and the river, will it impede the sallies from entering my yard and finding the slugs?

I gotta try to beer idea too...that seems like a staple amongst organic gardeners/farmers

Thanks all for your responses! I will be posting pics when I encounter sallies...hopefully I can get help with their ID.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!