Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are snails an issue to Axolotls?

leanniexo

Reaction score
I'm setting up a tank for an axolotl and I am interested in getting live plants. But from past experiences with fish...the plants almost always carry the eggs of those stupid brown snails. Was just wondering if they could be harmful to axolotls...especially if swallowed accidentally.

leanniexo

Reaction score
Unfortunately all my local stores sell live plants that are infested with these snails. Do you have any recommendations for sites to buy live plants from?

tinasvfx

Reaction score
Unfortunately all my local stores sell live plants that are infested with these snails. Do you have any recommendations for sites to buy live plants from?

Snails are common in any live plant no matter where it's from. Try quarantining the plants first before putting them in. I haven't done plants yet myself, but there are a lot of methods to help contain them.

I'm curious if anyone will come up with some sites to order plants from. Petsmart is my only real option where i am. :/

JoeCamaro

Reaction score
Hello,
I am new here, but I have a solution for you.
I have a 46g bow front aquarium with live plants and I never had an issue with snails. I do a bleach dip and it gets rid of hitchhikers.

This is what I do:
• Make a 19/1 water/bleach mix in a bucket (approximate, I never measure it)
• Dip plants for about a minute (I usually gently shake them in the water left to right)
• Remove from bucket
• Put under running water. I use the rain setting of my hose nozzle
• Put in another bucket with water and add water conditioner/dechlorinator
• Wait a minute or two
• Put in tank

I have never had snails or water parameters effects doing this. I even did it to java moss which was filled with tiny snails. It got rid of them all.

There is also a Peroxide solution that seems to work as good, but I have never done it.

Feel free to do a google search if you need more info.

Good luck with your plants.

Last edited:

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Snails are common in any live plant no matter where it's from. Try quarantining the plants first before putting them in. I haven't done plants yet myself, but there are a lot of methods to help contain them.

I'm curious if anyone will come up with some sites to order plants from. Petsmart is my only real option where i am. :/

I got my life plants from Azgardens and Liveaquaria, they don’t cost too much and they didn’t have any snails on them. So if you don’t want to get them from a pet store, you could try ordering from those websites.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1