Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Will my axolotl be okay without a filter for just a few hours?

Milooloo

Reaction score
I know this is probably a silly question in some people's eyes because the answer is probably obvious but I just want to be sure! I have a healthy 6-7 inch lil axie, I just changed the water yesterday so it's still pretty fresh, but I think the filter is breaking! I have one with an adjustable flow rate (I know they're not as good because of the current they put in the water, but I rigged up this soft natural sponge under the actual water flow so there's no current to mess up his little gills)
The filter keeps making the grindy noises you get when you turn it on and pour no water into it (even though it's been running fine for several months). I think it's just at The end of its time, and I need to buy a sponge filter anyway.
I would just wait it out and try to fix the filter, but it's 5:30 AM right now and the grindy noises keep waking me up! So annoying! If I unplug the filter now and pick up a sponge filter later today (Let's say around 11 AM or so, and get home at noon) is my axolotl going to be okay??? Or will he get super stressed, etc?
Thanks!
-milo

Reaction score
Yes, your axie will be fine without a filter for a few hours :) it won't stress them or bother them in any way. I used to turn my filter off at night because I was sure I wouldn't be able to sleep with the noise until I forgot one night and figured out that it actually helped me sleep XD that saying, you'll be fine without a filter, even for a few days if you needed it ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!