Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ribbed newt sexing and breeding (sexual maturity)?

otofrog

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I have 4 ribbed newts, 3 of which are albino and the remaining a wild type. I noticed some of my newts have little pads on their arms which I know are nupital pads, but I'm still confused on breeding them, I also want to be sure which are female and which are male. I see them doing amplexus but it's always random, it's never after a water change like people say and it seems as if they do it at random. When I introduced the black newt, it was courted by one of my other newts, but I can't just buy another newt just to trigger courtship. They are also about 4 inches long, how big do they have to grow until they can breed, and how long would it take for them to get that size? Thanks

Below are a couple images. I think the third one is a male, while they other ones are female
JlcgibP.jpg

vnK7QEz.jpg

ehkjidx.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!