Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need advice one axie stress

Milooloo

Reaction score
Hello there, I own an adorable leucistic axolotl named Who.
He's about two years old now, and I've just moved to a new home. I set up his tank immediately just as I have in the past. I use Prime (I used to live in the city, so prime was a major need), but now live further out in the country, and the water here seems to have a slight sulfur quality to it.
Who has never been stressed before so when I saw that his gills were curved forward and his tail is slightly curved I kind of freaked out.
I've checked for all the most common and dangerous illnesses and he is not sick or constipated, so I'm thinking it's either the water, or I'm just a mom that's freaking out too much.
What are the effects of sulfur water on axies, and do I need to buy a sort of water softener? (I already use Prime, and let the water sit for 24 hours before putting it in the tank)
So am I just being too worried or is this something I need to act on quickly?
I appreciate any advice you guys have!

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
from some googling i saw a few accounts of people using carbon filters (either made for drinking water or tanks) or 7 days aging the water to remove sulfur.

if its just a sulfur smell after using prime i wouldnt worry, i get that too from prime but if you have knowledge that there actually is sulfur in the taps id play it safe and run it through carbon before adding to the tank and/or add carbon to your normal filter system

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!