Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Skin has been scraped off tail

captainkeiko

Reaction score
Just need advice on what to do. I'm unsure of how this happened, but my axolotl has sustained an injury on her tail. It looks like a graze, the top layer of skin has been taken off and is still hanging on to the undamaged skin. I'm wondering if it would be best to let this skin come off naturally, or if it would better prevent infection if I remove this piece of skin. She is in a quarantine tank currently, so that I can keep her cool and give her a tea bath. Is this enough to prevent infection, or is there anything else I could be doing to help? The injury sounds bad but she is showing no signs of stress.

Unfortunately the injury is at the underside of the base of her tail, so it's difficult to take a picture. Apologies if this means it's more difficult to give advice.

Reaction score
I wouldn’t try to remove it. It will fall off and heal on its own. You could remove her to a shoebox sized Tupperware container and let her soak a couple days with some Indian Almond Leaf or a black tea bath- as long as the only ingredient in the teabag is black tea. This will soothe the damaged skin. Do water changes daily to keep everything fresh. If it isn’t a deep lesion, she should be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!