Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello - help with axolotl not eating

FLH62

Reaction score
Hello,

I joined this forum in the hope of getting some advice. Our 3 year old axolotl went off her food about a fortnight ago, sitting still in one place (not standing on her legs) for a couple of days and hiding away which is not normal behaviour for her. After measuring the water I upped the water changes to daily as there was a reading of 0.1 ammonia and nitrates seemed to be a bit high too.

After few days of not eating/responding I noticed a thread coming from her mouth This disappeared but a couple of days later a visible blob appeared - skin peeling or mould? I looked less fluffy than mould which she has occasionally had on her gills when temperatures are high.

She is now active and looking back to normal except her mouth is slightly open and she still isn't eating - neither worms nor pellets tempt her. In fact she jumped back when a wriggling worm touched her mouth. Might she be suffering with something inside her mout? - when she yawned it looked normal
We don't have anyone vet wise locally. I have introduced 2 pure aquarium spheres an a couple of Indian almond leaves to her 60litre tank.

I have a couple of photos - not great I'm afraid

Any advice would be much appreciated

Attachments

• Picture_20193106123130.jpg
    Picture_20193106123130.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 200
  • Picture_20193004083010.jpg
    Picture_20193004083010.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 118

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't know what to tell you- hopefully someone with axolotl experience will weigh in. If you have no local vet, you might end up having no choice but to wait and see.
But there are articles on health and illness, if you haven't found them, they are here:

Scroll down to "Health and Illness."

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/articles.shtml

Axie resources

Here are some other resources:

https://www.caudata.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

https://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_mexicanum.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1