Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Winter Cooling Period for Breeding S.s.s?

AdvythAF

Reaction score
Hello all,

It has been a while since I have posted on the forum xD

I need advice for breeding Salamandra salamandra salamandra, of which I believe I have one pair.

I live in San Jose, CA; where winter temperatures range from 40ºF at night and 60ºF during the day. December is cooler, with upper 50's as common high temperatures in my area. There are a some days where the nighttime temperature drops below 40ºF. It rarely dips below 32ºF.

I keep them in my insulated garage which can get to 45ºF at its lowest.

1. Will this be sufficient in winter cooling?
2. Anything in particular I should keep in mind for breeding?
3. Do the animals require extra food? Any specific food items?
4. How deep should the water bowl be? Currently it is at a depth of ~1 inch.

They (2) are currently in a simplistic set up(they trampled many, many plants) with dirt and 4 hides. The animals are fed homegrown European nightcrawlers and occasionally Eisenia fetida (they accept them).

Thanks in advance.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sorry you never received a response, but hopefully better late than never.

1) 45 degrees F is fine. I wouldn't let them get much below this honestly.
2) Do they get exposed to the natural light changes with the seasons? I think this is equally important, perhaps more so.
3) Not in my experience. Feed them if they will eat (mine usually eat even when it's that cold).
4) 1 inch is fine. I wouldn't go much deeper.

How old are they? At this point if the female is gravid it should be very obvious already. If not then you might have to wait a year, but you still need to cycle them now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!