Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Food for Axolotls?How do I feed the shrimp!?

Gothica Lily

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm new here, but already have a question: I have a lovely pair: an golden albino male and a white albino female. They like earthworms and grab them off my fingers eagerly. We only got them this week, but I want to ensure they have a good variety of food in their diet.

The damn shrimp won't stay together (I guess you'd expect that of animals so tiny)... I defrosted a cube of it for them to try. They can smell it alright, I think, or they know that hand in the tank means dinnertime. :) But Do You Have a Trick to make that shrimp stay together? Or How Do They Eat it???

I got some bloodworm & brineshrimp... Please, Suggest how to make this work...:confused:

Many Thanks, Guys!!

Angie W.

SUZY

Reaction score
Hi Angie !
The problem that you have with the brine shrimp is not going to go away, unless you dont feed brine shrimp. Bloodworms will be the same. Your best feed all the way around is earthworms. The frozen things need to be thawed and rinsed off, cous' you dont know what was in the water that they were frozen in ! Good luck, and enjoy !

ferret_corner

Reaction score
You didn't say... but if they are large enough to eat earthworms then brine shrimp are not necessary. I feed my adult axies frozen bloodworms occasionally. Even if they drift away they will root them out and slurp them up. What gets missed gets hoovered up when I'm cleaning.

Earthworms are a sufficient diet. But, like you, I wanted to provide a variety. So mine have guppies I raised here, live blackworms (even smaller than bloodworms), & pellets to go with their earthworms.

Welcome to the insanity!

Gothica Lily

Reaction score
Ah, I see LOL

Thanks for answering Guys!

Our pair are large enough to eat the earthworms (infact they don't mind an occasional human finger!). So I tried to make them have a go atmy fingers and release the small food straight into their mouth when they open it. It worked somewhat, but obviously not too well and I found the little stuff floating all around the place. Waited too. They can't see or smell them (too small).

Fab! I'll bread earthworms for them then! And.. guppies, huh? Are they hard to breed at home? I could probably chuck a few of those in, too...

Once Again, THANKS GUYS!
:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!