Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Setting up a new tank

A

audrey

I have three different kinds of newts - in three separate tanks and I am going to an reptile expo and am hoping to find a new kind of newt. I want to get the tank set up beforehand. I was reading the water condition page and it said that having fresh water without bacteria growing and so forth can stress out the new newt. Can I take a water mixture from my other three aquariums which are already established for the new tank or would the toxins from the other newts be in the water and harm the new guy? I have Cynops orientalis, california newts, and an eastern newt. I also have fish aquariums that I could take water from. Any advise?

TJ

Reaction score
Those newts you mentioned--Fire-belly, california, and eastern--are all pretty toxic. Also, the fish tank water, with all kinds of fish waste, might hurt the newt. Just to be on the safe side, I would get a new tank. Also, use tap water of water from a dehumidifier. Leave the tap water in the sun for a few hours to get rid of the chlorine.

I

ian

The idea of bacteria population in the tank is not from the water. It is mostly from the gravels and filter cartridge.

I suggest you that some gravels from one of the established tank and wash it with cold water and use it to start your bacteria culture in the new tank. It is always wise to set up your tank bacteria culture at least a week before you get your newts. You may put a little amount of food to reinforce the growth of the bacteria as well. But do change partial water piror to the introduction of newts.

A

audrey

I don't put gravel in my newt tanks but I have some in my fish aquariums, or I could use plastic plants from the other tanks. Would that work? And should I use black worms for the food to put in? Thanks for responses

D

demon

I switched to a large hobby gravel that I got from Wal-Mart. Much better than the little fish stuff! Plastic plants would work too. but I would boil anything first to kill bacteria, and start completely new!

I

ian

If you start completely new, then you are not using the nitrogen bacteria from the an established tank to set up a new tank. Unless I got something new, purchased or picked up from park, otherwise, I wont boil it.

Actually a sponge from an established tank filter will have a lot of nitrogen bacteria in it. I always prefer to use gravels for starting bacteria culture. And I always perfer live plants than plastic plants. Do you change your water often?

J

jeff

One risk with transferring gravel or water from the tank of one species of newt to another is the possibility of transferring on pathogens to your new newts. While your older, established newts may have grown some resistance to the pathogens, the new newts will likely be stressed from both travel and a new environment, and may be more susceptible to the pathogens.

J

jennifer

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Quoting Tim Wright on Wednesday 31 May 2006 - 20:32 (#POST97120):</font>

Leave the tap water in the sun for a few hours to get rid of the chlorine.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote> This is poor advice in this day and age. In the old days when tap water was treated with chlorine universally, it was true. These days a large fraction of tap water suppliers use chloramine, not chlorine, and it does not dissipate that fast. Water treated with chloramine must have dechlorinating drops added (or be filtered through a drinking water filter).

Using cycled material (filter, rocks, etc) from an established tank has pros and cons. It will make the new tank cycle more quickly and result in less stress to the new newts. But there is a small risk of passing some infection from one tank to another. Personally, I DO use cycled material to start a new tank, as long as the inhabitants of the old tank are healthy and have been in captivity for a while. But I don't necessarily say this is the best advice, you have to make your own choice about the risks either way.

C

chris

wow, great advice...I still thought that tap water was still treated with chlorine.....?..well I guess I have to treat my tap water longer. Or I could just use bottled water...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!