Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this white fungus?

Kinn

Reaction score
I noticed a white spot at the tip of my axolotls gill a week ago, the gill looks shorter than it used to as well. I just wanted to check if this was white fungus, to make sure before I start treating it.

image_zpseefb08ef.jpg

As you can see, the tip of the gill looks bent back a bit, and all colour has drained from it. I just don't see anything fuzzy on it like I read some people describing. Any idea what this is?

Her appetite has't depleted any, she's still as hungry as ever. She doesn't come up for air more often or anything. And the temperature has been a bit higher due to the summer weather, its stayed at about 20.8C pretty consistently.

Sweetie

Reaction score
Unless it has the cottony look of fungus, I would be reluctant to give salt baths. If the gill is atrophying, and the gill filaments dying, a salt bath would just make things worse. Check your water parameters and keep an eye on it would be my advice at this stage. Very cute axie btw.

Kinn

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the advice. If it gets worse, what would be the best thing to do, go to the vets?

And thank you, Ambrose appreciates the compliment!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!