Fridging after attack - slow healing arm

Wolfpretzel

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

Thanks to this wonderful forum, I have been successfully treating one of my axolotls (Shadow - an original name for a melanoid) after he was attacked by my other axie Pery (a golden albino). He has been in the fridge for a week after being chomped in a few places (end of tail and 2 gill 'fronds' bitten off, one arm savaged and most likely broken, other arm & legs bitten with toes missing / skinned).

These injuries were a result of 2 seperate attacks a week apart (the tail, 'fronds' and smaller nicks being the first). After the first attack I was treating the tank using API's Pimafix and he was eating normally. Just under a week later Pery attacked again and so I decided it was fridging time.

Shadow hasn't eaten since I put him in the fridge - which I know is normal so it doesn't bother me. He has been healing well apart from the savaged right arm and I am wondering if it will be necessary to amputate. It seems to have deteriorated over the week in the fridge instead of healing. Last night I left a bit of bloodworm in his container (probably a little too much) and it seems to have aggrevated the injury with a possible bacterial / fungal growth.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

WP

(Here are some pictures of the intial injuries and current state in the fridging container - the last being the current state of the savaged arm with the possible infection)

3402858635_e3af6eb47c.jpg
3402858809_74609eceeb.jpg
3403668572_be888c187a.jpg
3402857549_fcc10dfe18.jpg
3403669154_49dc368a14.jpg
3402859291_4eeac77edf.jpg
3402858093_feb5750a10.jpg

That does look pretty bad. I would consult a vet about possible amputation. The tissue of the arm is necrotic, and it's close to the body (versus just being at the fingertips).

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out guys. The arm is looking a little worse today but he is happier than ever in the fridge and the funny thing is that although the arm looks worse, he is moving it whereas before he held it close to his body as if it were broken.

He also has finally eaten some tasty earthworms so that's good to see. I'll be making a few calls to the vets closest to me tomorrow.

Thanks,

Chris

Hey guys,

Just posting an update. Shadow has had his necrotic arm amputated and is doing well so far. I will post a photo in the next few days to show progress. As usual, he doesn't seem at all bothered that he has just had his arm lopped off - I'm sure that I would definitely make more of a fuss. :p

Thanks for the input - I love this forum!

Chris

Glad to hear it. Watching the arm regenerate is pretty cool. You might not be so upset if your arm grew back like your axolotl's.

Just another update to any that are interested - Shadow is doing well and is happily resting and eating in the fridge. His arm / stump is looking healthy and is almost closed over. In addition, he is also wiggling his stump when he moves so that's a good sign.

This picture was taken today - 6 days after the amputation.

3427272401_62c53d0658.jpg

This forum rocks!

-Chris

I know it's probably not very pleasant for your pet, but I do envy you!

I'd love to watch a limb regrow-fascinating stuff.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back