The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1
levi14

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: levi14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to Raise Alkalinity

So I got my little guy about a week and a half ago, and he's perfect. He has so much personality; he's active, social (he'll eat out of my hand), doesn't hide much, and is eating great.

I did a 25% water change three days after I got him
I did another 25% water change two days later (this time with a siphon to clean up the floor)
I did a 50% water change five days later

I let the tank cycle for about 3 weeks before I got him, and the test strips showed everything to be perfect.

I tested it after his most recent water change (about 18 hours later), and the strip showed that the alkalinity was too low. I read online to dissolve baking soda in water and add that, but I wasn't sure if that was safe for axolotls.

I never let uneaten food sit at the bottom of the tank, and I use Seachem primer with tap water as directed from where I got him.

What is a safe and effective way to raise the alkalinity a smidge?

I plan on doing about 50% water changes weekly, but I honestly have no clue if that's good. I have seen about a thousand different suggestions for how often to change water, so any advice would be great.

We appreciate it! :)

levi14 is offline   Reply With Quote