Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My Axolotl Has Lost Almost It's Gills!

Prixten

Reaction score
This is Pat. I've had him for about six months and a few weeks after I set up a new tank after moving, he started losing his gills. I used to have some minnows in the tank with him so I took them out five days ago though nothing seems to have changed. Is this normal or is it some sort of sickness?

Attachments

• 20190929_210549.jpg
    20190929_210549.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 272

Prixten

Reaction score
Help! My Axolotl is starting to lose it's skin. The slime covering him seems to be peeling of and floating to the surface of the tank! What do I do? I have a water tester showing NO3 = 40 NO2 = 0.5 pH = 7 KH = 50 GH 18.

GulfCoastAxolotls

Reaction score
This is Pat. I've had him for about six months and a few weeks after I set up a new tank after moving, he started losing his gills. I used to have some minnows in the tank with him so I took them out five days ago though nothing seems to have changed. Is this normal or is it some sort of sickness?

Fish should never be kept with axolotls. A lot of the damage could be from the minnows nipping at his gills, it is definitely not normal. What are your water parameters?

Prixten

Reaction score
Water test from yesterday is shown in last reply. Did a complete water change and redid the tank layout with a live plant yesterday and left the water to sit for 24 hours. The test with the new water is:
NO3: 10
NO2: 0
PH: 7
KH: 80
GH: 180

Prixten

Reaction score
No signs of gills anywhere anymore. Posting here was useless. Thanks for nothing...

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Could be the fish nipping at the gills, have you noticed them going at the axolotl at all? What temperature is the water, and do you have an ammonia test kit? If there is ammonia in the tank this can cause gill shrinkage.
If you can I would tub the axolotl and do 100% water changes daily in the tub. Keep temps under 18 degrees celcius and use indian almond leaves to encourage recovery.
Is it eating okay?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!