Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from Ohio!

clearview

Reaction score
Hi, my name is David. I am 20 years old, married, attend college full time, and work as little as possible. I have always enjoyed caring for various pets, but I haven't had the pleasure of owning a newt or salamander ... YET. I have one Ball Python, five leopard geckos, a 75 gallon tank housing African Cichlids, two cats, and five ferrets. On my own, to care for all of these creatures would be overwhelming, but fortunately my lovely wife shares the same animal obsession.
I recently pulled a 55 gallon tank out of retirement, to be fused with one of those tacky old Tetra Viquarium kits. Some look at the plastic in disgust, but I kind of like it. Right now it is empty with the exception of a few guppies and freshwater plants. Any suggestions as to what might flourish in such a set-up would be greatly appreciated. Along with species suggestions, what kind of plants and other inanimate objects should I add? Thanks. -David
P.S.: If this thread is out of place, sorry, I am just getting a feel for caudata.org. Feel free to move it, just tell me where. Thanks again.
P.S.S.: Here is a crappy little 1mp camera phone picture.

Attachments

• Newt Tank.jpg
    Newt Tank.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 214

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi David, welcome to caudata.org! Your intro is in the right place, for sure!

You might want to re-post your question about the tank in the Vivariums discussion section. I'll look for it there, and then give you some suggestions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1