Ohio Herping (part II)...

Andy Avram

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yesterday (April 15) I went out to hit up a few leads on Spotted Turtles (Clemmys guttata) as I have only seen them in one area and they are fair uncommon in Ohio. My first stop was at a boardwalk but I was a little early and it was still cool out so I walked down the road and flipped a few pieces of concrete to get my first Northern Brown Snakes (Storeria dekayi dekayi) of the year.

BrownSnake.jpg

<O:p
Back to the boardwalk and found a few Eastern Garter Snakes (Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis). Here is one that was in full sun and I didn’t get a great picture of.
Garter.jpg

Finally after walking the boardwalk a few times and finding NO Smooth Green Snakes (I usually get them in the fall) I found my target turtle.
Spotted Turtle
SpottedTurtle.jpg

Over to another location about 45 minutes away where some people on my conference saw a Spotted Turtle. As usual the Painted Turtles, Green and Bullfrogs were out in force and no trip there is complete without a few Northern Water Snakes (Nerodia sipedon sipedon).
Water.jpg

<O:p></O:p>
Arboreal one.
Waterintree.jpg

Unfortunately, no Spotted Turtles so off to another area about 45 minutes away, where I have seen and worked with Spotted Turtles (I radio-tracked a few from this population a few years ago). As usual I was able to see one of the males with a little transmitter on his butt, but he burrowed into the leaves under water before I could get my camera out. A few peepers were calling and the Bull and Green Frogs were everywhere. A few Painted Turtles later and I decided to go a little into off-limits property and search for some salamanders in a very pristine, coldwater stream. This proved fruitful, although I struck out on erythristic Redbacks and Long-tailed Salamanders (both of which are found there), but I was able to amass this excellent group.
Cup ‘o Manders.
CupoManders.jpg

Can you name what’s in the cup?

Well, I'll give you the answers.

I wasn't able to pull off a shot of the Northern Two-lined Salamander (Eurycea bislineata) before it escaped.
Here are a few pictures of the individuals.
Redback
Redback-1.jpg

Comparison shot of two species.
Northern Dusky (Desmognathus fuscus) on top and Mountain Dusky (Desmognathus ochropheaus) on bottom.
DuskyComparison.jpg

Northern Red Salamander (Pseudotriton ruber ruber)<O:p
Red.jpg

Spring came too late this year, but at least it is turning out alright.
Andy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back