Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl tank temperature?

Bogy

Reaction score
I am just setting up my tank now, and am only worried about one thing. I read that axolotls need to be kept at a temp of about 68 degrees. I live in central PA, so it gets hot during the days in the summer. I already have an air conditioner running all day long (I have 2 chinchillas who are VERY heat sensitive). It stays at about 72-73 in my house. Will the tank be ok at that temperature?

I'm a veteran fish tanker, but this is my first try with anything else. I'm used to having to use a heater to keep my tropical fish in the warmth to which they're accustom.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A healthy, well-adjusted axie will be just fine at that temp in summer. However, it might be a good idea to acquire new axies at at time when you can keep them cooler than that. What do you expect to be the tank temp in winter? Avoid adding appliances (lamps, submersible filters) that will heat the water. Also, if you can make the setup with good evaporation (screen lid, fan, etc), you may be able to get the water temp below the air temp.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

Bogy

Reaction score
The air temp is usually around 68-69 in winter. Often cooler. My wife and I both own lots of sweaters, and chinnies like the cold.

Thank you for the article! I read it, and I'm going to return the plastic thing I was going to use for a hood and exchange it for a mesh screen. And, fortunately, I'm a huge nerd and have a pile of computer parts behind me. I'm going to rip out a couple of fans and use them to cool the tank (one facing up, and one facing down).

Combine that with the fact that they're going to be living in the most air conditioned room of the house, and I think they should be quite happy. Thank you!

Edit: I'm not really clear on what kind of filter is best. I have one of these, currently:
yhst-33477391359232_2057_78276006

Will that work?

Greg31

Reaction score
From what I have learned, Axolotl's are happiest when the temperature is around 64-69 or so. Any higher and you can possibly cause stress.

AxieLover21

Reaction score
It is coming into summer at the moment, im getting my 1st axie tomorrow. Can NOT get tank under 20C

TIPS??? IT ISN"T EVEN SUMMER YET

AxolotlWildType

Reaction score
My thermometers have been telling lies, as I've dipped my hand into water and it feels satisfyingly cool. Is it true that it's lying?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!