Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What to feed blackworms?

13kayrose

Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is the perfect place to post this as I’m new to the site, so sorry if it isn’t :)

Currently raising a juvenile axolotl (9 weeks old) and was feeding him frozen bloodworm, however he started to show signs of being constipated so I’ve started giving him live blackworm instead. I’m aware of how to keep blackworm, but what I’m unsure of is what to feed them.

This might sound stupid but I read to feed them vegetable scraps, but I wondered if I feed the blackworms vegetable scraps, could this effect my axolotl when I feed him?

Sorry if this is ridiculous, I just thought I’d check with the experts :)

Murk

Reaction score
I've never done blackworms, but reading about it it seems to be the same as basically any other detritus feeder, which I do have experience with.
These creatures all eat food that has broken down (or is in the process of breaking down) to very small particles. They eat the old, gross, pulverized stuff. When food has broken down to that small a level, there honestly isn't that much of a difference between plant or animal matter: it's all dirty goop at that point. Once it has passed through a worm's stomach and is used to build worm muscles the difference is gone completely.
So no, the food you give your blackworms will not matter to your axolotls.
[Disclaimer: of course it can matter: if you give your blackworms toxins or specialized vitamin food that will have an effect on the axolotls - but I doubt you were planning on doing that].

It might matter to the blackworms, though. I'm sure they prefer some foods to others - I don't know enough about them to give an opinion on that. The internet's advice ranges from paper and fish flakes to boiled zucchini, which all seem fine. These are creatures that would happily slobber dirt, so as long as they reproduce and grow, they'll be fine. And your axolotls as well.

13kayrose

Reaction score
I've never done blackworms, but reading about it it seems to be the same as basically any other detritus feeder, which I do have experience with.
These creatures all eat food that has broken down (or is in the process of breaking down) to very small particles. They eat the old, gross, pulverized stuff. When food has broken down to that small a level, there honestly isn't that much of a difference between plant or animal matter: it's all dirty goop at that point. Once it has passed through a worm's stomach and is used to build worm muscles the difference is gone completely.
So no, the food you give your blackworms will not matter to your axolotls.
[Disclaimer: of course it can matter: if you give your blackworms toxins or specialized vitamin food that will have an effect on the axolotls - but I doubt you were planning on doing that].

It might matter to the blackworms, though. I'm sure they prefer some foods to others - I don't know enough about them to give an opinion on that. The internet's advice ranges from paper and fish flakes to boiled zucchini, which all seem fine. These are creatures that would happily slobber dirt, so as long as they reproduce and grow, they'll be fine. And your axolotls as well.

Okay great, thanks so much!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I spoke with a professional blackworm breed last month. He told me he feeds them raw paper.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
A few years ago I got 10 and I started off feeding mine paper towels, then got fed up with nurturing them and chucked them into an outdoor tub and basically forgot about them. A few months ago, having more or less forgotten them, iI looked in and there were hundreds. They had been eating the fallen holly leaves. Once the leaves had started decaying they got inside the leaf and munched away.

13kayrose

Reaction score
A few years ago I got 10 and I started off feeding mine paper towels, then got fed up with nurturing them and chucked them into an outdoor tub and basically forgot about them. A few months ago, having more or less forgotten them, iI looked in and there were hundreds. They had been eating the fallen holly leaves. Once the leaves had started decaying they got inside the leaf and munched away.

Wow! That’s crazy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!