Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

CHN Press: Beijing restaurants selling illegal (salamanders)

wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
GLOBAL TIMES (Beijing, China) 25 December 09 Beijing restaurants selling illegal alligator (Song Yuanyuan)
Two restaurants were found illegally selling alligator, giant salamander and sturgeon by the Beijing Fishing Supervision and Administration Station (BFSAS) on Thursday.
Alligator, giant salamander and sturgeon are under national second-class protection, according to Chinese wildlife law.
Upon receiving public tip-offs, BFSAS along with police conducted an inspection on the two restaurants. One of them is located in Haidian district, selling a 12-kilogram alligator priced at 336 yuan ($49.34) per kilogram and two giant salamanders for 3,360 yuan ($493.39) per kilogram. The other is located in Xicheng district and was found to be selling Siberian sturgeon.
"Neither of the two restaurants have a permit to sell those fish. We do not know where they got these animals from," an official surnamed He from the BFSAS told the Global Times.
According to He, these animals are not prohibited from being sold because husbandry has greatly increased their numbers. Those who sell them must apply for permits issued by the Ministry of Agriculture and pay wildlife protection fees to the agricultural bureau regularly. The more they sell, the higher the fees.
The BFSAS have seized all the fish and plans to investigate further. According to wildlife business regulations, the illegal sale, purchase or transport of second-class protected animals carries a fine of ten times the animal's value, and in more serious cases, it may even be considered a felony.
Qin Huina, chairman of the Capital Animal Welfare Association, is calling for a more aggressive protection of China's wildlife. "I am opposed to eating any kind of wild animals. Some can even cause diseases. Breeding should only be used for the purpose of better protection, not for commercial use. The government should legislate a prohibition on selling wild animals, including those raised on farms. Issuing per-mits for legal sales is very likely to lead to a loophole," Qin told the Global Times.
He Yong, division director of the media center from the International Fund for Animal Welfare in China also strongly opposes the sale of wild animals in any way.
"There are quite a few loopholes in wildlife protection laws in China. To preserve ecological diversity, laws should be made to prohibit any kind of use of wild animals," said He.
Globaltimes_Society

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Are these animals really being raised that easily that you can buy a 2 pound animal to eat as food for 493 dollars? If this is true you would expect them to be hitting the pet trade very soon. But I doubt this is the case. Although it makes me sad to think they are being eaten. If farming is that successful with producing cb animals I really can't fault them because I've eaten alot of different animals myself. Cows, deer, squirrls, lamb, alligator, pheasants, chickens, fish, frogs, and rabbits all included. And yes I would pay 493 dollars for a legally CB animal. I won't pretend I wouldn't. Although I would not eat mine. I have a few questions about cb animals If China sells cb animals for food why are they not it the pet trade? I thought they were protected? Is China just ignoreing international laws so they can make money? What is going on?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1