Question: Hurricane prep for axies?

ktc10

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm in central Florida and hurricane Irma is headed my way. I have two juvenile axies that I'm very worried about. The older one, Ra, is in a cycled 20 gallon and the younger one, Nut, is kept in a tub with about 2.5 gallons of water and 100% changes daily. Both have fans on them and my room is kept cold. They are healthy and happy little guys.
My main concern is losing power and water. If we lose power, it'll get hot inside fast. We have plenty of drinking water, but not enough for daily water changes. I have another plastic tub that I could put Ra in and I can fridge them. But the fridge may have no power so I just hope the fridge doesn't get too warm too. I could also fill up my bathtub to store water for any water changes.
I really don't know how bad it'll be, but it's not unheard of to lose power for a week or even two. What is my best course of action in this situation? Also how can I keep my 20 gallon from crashing?

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back