Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Metamorphed Axy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiago

Reaction score
Hi, nice morphed axolotl :), I have two morphed axies and a regular one and I have set up a paludarium for them. I was wondering how much land vs water the morphed ones need and in what sort of tank you keep yours.

Thank you in advance!

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
The morphed one would need a setup similar to a morphed tiger salamander tank.
Moist substrate like coir or 100% organic topsoil(about 4 inches for burrowing) with hides(no peat or spaghnum or anything like thatin the soil with a water dish for a water source, the normal one just needs an aquatic setup

zombieaddict

Reaction score
What a fascinating sticky topic! Mr. Lister was a gorgeous creature and his story definitely made for a very interesting read. Plus this topic is packed full of lotl knowledge! Thank you to Freeky for posting her story. Thank you to John as well for stickying this topic so that it's so easy to find.

It's kind of scary how many people have asked about how to force their lotls to morph. I can't wait to get mine but when they arrive, I expect them to stay in the aquarium I set up for them! Anyone who attempts to become a landlubber will have a very stern talking to before I give in and set up a completely new enclosure for them. I'm glad that the chances of that are slim because I don't really have the space for another tank!

jakeztheone

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone still reads this but - that is an absolutely gorgeous morphed being!!! I saw another morphing post with multiple morphs, wonder if anymore ended up morphing. I'd like to see some of the other color variations and pictures of the morphing process.

xxianxx

Reaction score

limnologist

Reaction score
I am going to run tests on some wild-morphs as soon as they get older. I have kept many tiger salamanders that metamorphosed when theyre water got very low, I have a theory that axolotls might be able to do the same.

Sweetie

Reaction score
How cruel. Why on earth would you do that? AXOLOTLS ARE NOT TIGER SALAMANDERS. Many experienced and knowledgeable people would debunk your 'theory', pointing out that unless the axolotl is born with a genetic predisposition to morph, it will be simply unable to do so, meaning that subjecting axolotls to unsuitable conditions in an effort to force them to morph will merely cause them extreme distress and usually kill them. Please reconsider this foolhardy idea. :angry:

VinnyMacC

Reaction score
this is why axos rock, they break all the rules ....can do what ever they want, when ever they want, to whom ever they want....be afraid :uhoh:

TallTree01

Reaction score
Wow, all this just goes to show what amazing creatures axolotls are. :D
It's a pity that so many people seek to exploit these animals. :(

ks85

Reaction score
how awesome! I would be sad if mine meta, because I keep some salamanders too, but awesome of you for sharing!!! Right on! :D

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I am going to run tests on some wild-morphs as soon as they get older. I have kept many tiger salamanders that metamorphosed when theyre water got very low, I have a theory that axolotls might be able to do the same.

I believe it's already been confirmed that axolotls evolved into the neotenic state by lacking the hormones that most other salamanders use to morph. I understand you want to test out your theories but before any good scientist begins testing they do many many hours of research to understand variables or if it's even worth trying. Your experiment is testing a stress response in an animal that has gone through many generations of not needing to use that. Tiger salamanders while closely related to axolotls often lay their eggs in seasonal pools or ponds that naturally lower during the dry periods. Here is a thought that might help you, in most Asian markets that sell axolotls you will often see them being cramped in with only a few inches of water. Why have none of those ones morphed? I'm not trying to dissuade you from science just to remind you and anyone else that 90% of all experiments is doing research prior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JM29

Reaction score
Useful litterature :

Voss S. R. & Shaffer H. B., 1997 : Adaptative evolution via a major gene effect : paedomorphosis in the mexican axolotl - Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA Vol. 94, pp. 14185–14189.

Voss S. R. & Shaffer H. B., 2000 : Evolutionary genetics of metamorphic failure using wildcaught vs. laboratory axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) - Molecular Ecology (2000)
9, 1401–1407.

and, of course, axolotl.org

These papers (among others) point to the importance of the genetic background : not all axies can actually succeed in metamorphosis.

aldeypop

Reaction score
very curious as to how u noticed the start of this.... not sure if they need access to some sort of land to naturally and safely morph but say u hadnt noticed could he have died? but truly amazing and beautiful congrats

taleajane

Reaction score
Wow. Fascinating to see how he turned out.
You did a great job :)

I know it's quite rare for them to morph: Does anyone have any statistics/numbers on how many do actually end up morphing per chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!