Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What earthworm doesn't secrete&is best?

Lauren123

Reaction score
Hi there everyone, I was wondering what type of earthworm is best for a newt? (Spanish Ribbed Newt in particular if that helps).

Godzilla has recently been fussy and I've found out that he doesn't like Red wigglers, due to their secretion. So the main question is, what earthworm doesn't tend to secrete and is best? (That are available in the U.K.?)

Many thanks, Lauren.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the site. :)
Common Earthworms (Lumbricus terrestris) are the most palatable and don't secrete anything nasty. The only problem is they are more expensive to buy (Dartfrog.co.uk sell them) as they can't really be propagated in a wormery like other species. If you have a garden they are quite easy to find by digging or looking under rocks and flowerpots etc.
The next best species are Eisenia hortensis, also known as Dendrobaena worms. They do secrete a slightly smelly fluid when cut or attacked, but nowhere near as foul as the red wrigglers. Most species will eat them without problems so it might be worth giving them a try.
I get mine from here;

Buy fishing worms - Bucket of Worms

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!