Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Andersoni, Axolotl or a hybrid?

vanjaif

Reaction score
Just wanted to give you a picture update on Skittles. She is starting to regrow toes and gills! Still as golden as usual :happy:

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 786
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 616
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 574

xxianxx

Reaction score
I saw your pics on facebook, I was quite surprised to see some people claiming that this animal was pure A.andersoni and in the process of morphing, has it morphed yet ? :)

vanjaif

Reaction score
On facebook? haha where on facebook? And no, Skittle isn't in the process of morphing, today I have owned her for 1 months :D And her gills are in the process of growing back. It looks so funny now, because some of the "hair" on her gills grows faster then others so she have a few long ones just pointing out randomly :D

vanjaif

Reaction score
Just wanted to add a new update. Skittles gills are almost fully back now :)

Attachments

• IMG_2954.jpg
    IMG_2954.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,293
  • IMG_2945.jpg
    IMG_2945.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,210
  • IMG_2965.jpg
    IMG_2965.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,064

SteGriffWales

Reaction score
looks to me as a andersoni /cross copper axolotl ,markings of andersoni ,semi but not full web rear feet ,its pretty though ,a guy i know keeps andersoni in salt/brackish water higher temps than axololts and there doing fine ,but that pattern is andersoni just not the gold/copper colouration ,keep it its a gem of the Ambystoma world ;)

Leedle3dle

Reaction score
To me it looks like a "stardburst" color morph which is just a wildtype axolotl with a high amount of irodiphores.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1