Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Is my axolotl a picky eater?

FeraliGabriel

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone, im new here.
Im also new to Axolotls in general, i got mine a week ago, his name is Regis. I have been having problems feeding him. He seems to only eat the pellets when they hit the right spot in his field of vision, and after they fall he ignores them unless there is a pile of food. I've been told to feed him 3 pellets a day, and its a hard time doing that. I bought frozen Bloodworms, it seems to have worked in the same way, he will snap at them only when they are falling near his face, and after one try he will not move even if some fall in his face. I'd like to know if i should just leave the bloodworms there or if he will eat them later, or if there is any way to change this behavior of his so that he eats like a healthy Axolotl.

Thanks for all the help.
(The pic is from when he had food on his face but still didnt eat it)

Attachments

• Regis.jpg
    Regis.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 247

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
That's pretty normal, they don't have the fastest reflexes and some seem to have better senses than others when it comes to finding food. when I feed pellets I have the same problem, I ended up just deciding to either use a feeding dish or I pinch 1-2 pellets and hold them just under the tank surface, wiggling my fingers above them until the notice normally helps, or I just hold the pellet in my feeding tongs and drop it right on top of their heads.

I find earthworms easier to feed since they don't fall apart after being submerged like pellets do, bloodworms were the messiest food in my opinion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1