Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red Eft Issues

Infernite385

Reaction score
Hey you guys! I’m very new to this forum and a new owner to a rescued wild caught Red Eft. Recently I think they had what I believe is referred to as a “bad shed” as it took about 5 days and the skin came off in chunks, the trunk and head shed came off quick but the skin on the tail and feet stuck around for longer. Sadly the shed on their back right foot is still there and has blackened, I do not know whether I should let them remove it themselves or intervene?

Additionally, in one of their forelimbs they seem to have lost a toe. The site seems to be a glossy reddened (inflamed) looking color and has a bit of a white tint on the “stub” where he finger was. So to me, it definitely seems infected. Any thoughts or recommendations?

To put icing on the cake, for the 3-4 weeks I’ve had them I haven’t visually observed them eat. I have offered cut up worms, wiggling in their face. And I introduced springtails as well as flightless fruit flies to their vivarium. They are flourishing and it is possible they are eating them as I haven’t observed significant weight loss.

If any additional information is needed I will provide it, I simply want to help my animal

Herpin Man

Reaction score
I would suggest providing details as to how you are keeping it and feeding it- what is the set up like, temperatures, humidity, etc. The issues that you are experiencing sound as though they are probably husbandry related.

Infernite385

Reaction score
It is in a 10 gallon tank. The substrate is natural earth from a local hiking spot and eco-earth. There’s also sheet moss, oak leaves, and pinecones in the vivarium. It also contains a springtail culture, isopods, and some earthworms that were not consumed. Its also adorned with some dry wood from the aforementioned hiking spot. Temperatures range from 60-70 but usually stay towards the upper 60’s. I mist twice a day but my instrument only detects up to 50% humidity. I should also mention it has two hides, a real turtle shell with moss which it always stays in. And an artificial rock cave without moss. Theres also a small water dish in the tank.

I’ve had it for about a month now and have tried to observe it feeding but never have. I have offered cut up Earth worms, and flightless fruit flies.

I will also mention there is an eastern worm snake, about 2-3 inches long but they spend their time in the substrate completely apart from the Red Eft.

Infernite385

Reaction score
I should also add, the foot looks much better today, albeit with a missing toe. And the skin seems to have been removed except for the very tips of its toes.

However, I still have not seen them eat, and if my eyes are deceiving me and they are losing weight then I could very well wake up one day to find them dead. How can I get my little one to eat?

I’ve read that Red Efts are typically diurnal and active, however all mine does is hide in the shell. Maybe its just this individual’s temperament, but I fea otherwise.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!