Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl not eating and regurgitating worms

MayaAnthony

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My axolotl, Xochimilco, isn’t eating very much and I am starting to worry about it. I’ve used algaecide in my tank because of all the brown algae it had but I’ve realized that that was probably toxic to axolotls therefor I changed the entire water of the tank and replaced it with fresh dechlorinated tap water. I have a filter and live plants in my tank, perhaps the live plants still carry the algaecide and therefor responsible for axolotl’s illness? Please help if you had any experience with algaecide, the active component of it is monoliniron but I’ve used it accordingly to the tanks measurements. I know amphibians are very sensitive to chemicals but this is the 3rd water change that I’ve done, the first two being only half of the tank’s water. Thank you in advance!

Prixten

Reaction score
What else have you tried feeding it? Are you feeding it a full-size earthworm? If so, try cutting it up then feed it in small amounts.

MayaAnthony

Reaction score
Yes I have tried to cut up worms but he just spits them out, luckily I found a solution I am currently feeding it live blood worms. Thanks for you reply though! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!