Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Axolotl... help please!

Amie

Reaction score
Ok, I'll try to make this quick and clear coz I really need advice here.

I'm going to try to upload a picture.

All water params at 0 other than nitrate at 0.2mg/L. PH 7. Temp 19-20 degrees.

I'm fairly sure he's a male, but I couldn't be 100%.

I have an Albino Axolotl, approx 2 years old. Yesterday, out of nowhere, he turned pale white. All his gills and eyes lost their colouration and he seems to have a swollen stomach that looks black on the inside. His body has tiny pin prick bright red spots on it and I'm at a loss as to why. He's swimming very unevenly and sometimes turning upside down. He won't eat and I haven't seen him pass any waste in the fridge yet. I've panicked and put him in the salad compartment of the fridge until I can figure out what's going on. This is the first time I've fridged, but felt like I had no choiceHe's in fresh declorinated water. After looking at his tank and testing everything, I fund a small brown slug in there on the side of the tank! It looked just like a common everyday slug and was able to come out of the water surface on the tank. He Lives in a three foot tank on his own with an external filter, 50% water change per week. Bare bottom tank with lots of caves. Diet: Small Earthworms (bought from a good supplier) and frozen bloodworms. I feed him every two to three days and try to rotate what I give him. His been fed mainly on Earthworms for the last couple of weeks due to moving house and the bloodworms defrosting in the move. I'm due to go and buy some more in a couple of days (as I've just found a local place that sells them).

If any can help I'd greatly appreciate it.

lea

Reaction score
the fridge is the best place for him at the moment. Is the slug alive?? Could it have crawled on him?? Is there anything he couldve eaten and it has gotten stuck??
He wont he while he is in the fridge...
I would also put some spare water in the fridge near your axie, ready for water changes.
Hopefully someone with more experience will jump in soon
lea

Amie

Reaction score
Thanks for the response :)

I have no idea! I keep an eye him all the time, but I haven't seen a slug on him or in the tank before. I was gross. I know he won't eat in the fridge, I just hope he's ok though. Really worried. There's nothing in his tank that could pose a danger to him. Other than that nasty slug. I'm in the process of scrubbing his tank and taking the filter apart to have a look in there. I cleaned the filter a couple of weeks ago with old tank water and it was fine :S I'm really lost here. It's all litrally out of nowhere :'(

Here are a couple of pictures: You can see the red dots and there's no other colouration in him what so ever. I've just taken these.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/amie-albums-please-help-picture12133-a.html

lea

Reaction score
I have no idea what would cause the dots like that..Im sorry. Im sure someone will be able to help soon.
Remember if you clean the whole tank out you will have to start the cycling process again.

Amie

Reaction score
I know. I'm just going to scrub the insdie of the tank and all the ornaments. I'll open the filter and have a look, but if I can't see anything in there, I'll just leave it, if I find anything, I'll start the cycle again with him in the fridge and just change the water everyday.

No worries about not knowing. I have got a clue either.

Thanks for the responses though :)

zoezakella

Reaction score
Hi Amie,

Your poor axie hope he gets better soon. Cant help with the illness I am afraid just wanted to check though with the fridging as you say he is in the salad compartment, does that have a secure lid as smells from your fridge can leak into the axies water and also vice versa into your food so you may want to switch him into a sealed container with a tea towel over the top and also try and switch your fridge light off by taping over it so it doesn't disturb your axie. Hope he gets better soon & best of luck. Zoe

Crysta

Reaction score
most fridges have that little 'box' as a salad compartment thing, I know mind doesn't - it's just a drawer.
but I agree with zoe, if it's not one of those handy boxes, you need to use a secure container. not just because of smells ect, things like raw meat can drip, and all sorts of things can drip.

Amie

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys :) and thanks for the well wishes.

As for the fridge, I hate to admit this, but I pretty live off takeaways, so my fridge is mostly empty. There's nothing that can really drip on him. The compartment he's in is coverered by a shelf. I'm going to see if my 20ltr tank will fit in there, as it's more sealed and will give him a little more space- not that he's moving much :(

Amie

Reaction score
Dio sadly died a couple of hours ago. I checked on him and he was gone.

I'm very upset and I have no idea what caused this.

Thank you to everyone who posted a reply.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Oh Amie I am so sorry how sad :(

Sorry I could not help with whatever he had I am new to Axies to :(

sek

Reaction score
I am sorry for your loss, this was so sudden.

I am not sure what happened to your axie but it was very strange. R.I.P to your axie.

Amie

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been on here since losing Dio, but thank you to everyone for the well wishes. It was really suddon, quite a shock and very sad.

Thank you again.

Mikeksba

Reaction score
I’m sorry to revive an old thread, I’m new here and came across this just reading through many of these threads to learn more about my axie. I was wondering, since a slug was found in the tank, could he possibly have eaten another slug that made its way in with that one and gotten poisoned by it? Those things can be nasty I imagine... also I known this is almost a decade old but sorry to hear the axie didn’t make it :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!