Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Harmful chemicals

oregon newt

Reaction score
What are some chemicals common in aquarium medicines and conditioners that are harmful to caudates?

t_summ

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Is there something in particular that you want to use?

My belief is that if it is manufactured and is not specifically to treat a newt then it does not belong in the water. I think a natural approach is always better unless there is an emergency.

oregon newt

Reaction score
I just wanted to know so I could know what's safe for my newt. I would be nervous to use a medicine, but I've read the article on Caudata Culture that listed types of medicines and it said some weren't dangerous to caudates. I also read some good reviews of medicine by some well-respected people here.

Lasher

Reaction score
I think what Travis means is it would be rather difficult to list every harmfull chemical ever used in an aquarium treatment or product. Is it a particular medicine your wondering about? Or treatment for a particular condition?

oregon newt

Reaction score
No, there's no specific disease or medicine. I just wanted to know so I could some medicines for treatments.

aird3

Reaction score
The natural approach has been working for me. I was told to put stress syme in the water and a few other things which has not made any difference to the health of my 2 axolotls. I don't use anything in the water now. I clean the tank once a week, including vacuming the gravel. The natural approach has worked for me.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!