Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My notophthalmus have some bundles

Reaction score
I have one of them with several bundles under their skin. It seems not to affect their behavior nor health, but I would like to know wich could be the origin.

Thanks

3312296710_64c7efc431.jpg

slowfoot

Reaction score
I've never seen that before! Are they soft or hard? How long has it had the lumps?

Honestly, I would separate it from the others. Maybe someone with more knowledge can tell you what they are, but to me they look like they could be some sort of parasite living under the skin.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
I'm with Erin - seperate it asap until you ascertain what those lumps are. Tumors are most likely but parasites run a close second.

Reaction score
My first group of notophthalmus has them all those lumps.

I have a new group, and one of them has get a lump so, it should be some kind of infection.

Has anyone have such problem?

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to chime in so late.

Lumps under the skin are most likely to be abscesses generally in my opinion, although parasites or tumours would also be significant possibilities. I would suggest that you really need to get the animal to a vet, and have appropriate samples taken from the lumps. This should allow distinguishing between the possibilities, and give the best course of action/treatment.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

Reaction score
I have a new simtomp.

Lumps has move from some individual to another, so it cannot be tumors

Olli

Reaction score
A long Time ago i had an Axolotl, which had something like this. There came a white worm out of it after it was opened with a medical knife. Some days i made baths with "Kaliumpermanganat". I have never seen something like this again.
Today i would take it to a special Vet, to know what kind of parasite it was. Might be that there are more of them in the body.
Greetings Olli

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1