Another newby here!

Weezy55

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm so happy to find this site. My 20-year-old daughter was recently given a Chinese Fire Bellied Newt (a friend no longer wanted to take care of it). However, she'll soon head off for a 15-month deployment in Afghanistan, so I need to get up to speed quick on how to take good care of little Snickers!

We're already aquarium enthusiasts and had an unused 30-gallon tank that we turned into a mostly aquatic terrarium. Snickers is constantly exploring and really chows down on the blood worms, so I think he's transitioning to his new home quite well. We might even get another one since there's plenty of room and, who knows, he might enjoy a little company. :eek:

Hi Weezy55,

Sounds like you are well on your way to our addiction. :p

Welcome to the Forum!

-Eva

Vielen Dank, Eva! It's nice to meet a Berliner - my brother has lived in Hamburg since 1971. Unfortunately, he thinks we're crazy to take in a newt, but he just does not know what he's missing! :D

That's funny! The world is so small (and yet so big!). Actually I'm from New Orleans, I've lived here in Berlin these last 14 years, though - great town. Hamburg is nice, too, nice people and good food.

I don't know how anybody could not want a newt or salamander. They are the perfect pet. Beautiful, exotic, fascinating, quiet, live in decorative environments, and eat bugs from the yard. But hey, brothers are weird animals themselves.

-Eva

Welcome to the Newt and Salamander Portal!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back