Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Adult and juvenile axolotl together?

raizou

Reaction score
So I've had a 30 gallon breeder for a year now and it currently has an axolotl thats roughly a foot long. Now I am interested in adding another which means getting a juvenile (the only size available in my area) around 5-6 inches long. My question is if it would be safe to house them together or should I get a divider while the newcomer grows? My only concern if I got a divider would be that my foot long axolotl wouldn't have enough room as he is quite large. I'd appreciate any feedback or opinions! Thanks!

Bdyoung

Reaction score
That would probably be too small, and it would be in danger of being eaten. I would wait until it is around 9 inches before putting them together and watch them carefully for a few days. I'd go with a divider or a little 10 gallon for the juvenile. When dividing the tank you could always leave more room for your bigger axolotl. When mixing two different generations of axolotls I usually grow them out in a 10 gallon and then move them up to a 20 long until they reach the appropriate size.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Kaini

Reaction score
I second Axolotlwhisperer, the small one would be in danger of being eaten or hurt. Axies are opportunistic feeders and anything that moves, especially smaller axies, are at risk of becoming lunch. You should only house similarly sized Axolotls together.

You could definitely divide the tank until the little one grows though.

raizou

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, ill probably find a 10 gallon laying around and grow him in there as Axolotlwhisperer suggested. About how long does it take for them to grow from 5 to 9 inches?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
Roughly 4 months :) once they get big they will look cramped in a 10 gal :)

NadeZ

Reaction score
You will need another tank to quarantine the new axolotl. But after that, if you just want to see them in the same tank, or if the 30Gal has superior filtration, then you can make a divider very cheaply.

Introducing Juviniles to Adults on a Student Budget:

First you need a tank to house the juveniles for quarantining. I got a 32L underbed storage box from wilko for £3. Despite being only 32L, the dimensions are 53x17x33cm (LxHxW) which gives a large floor space that rivals that of a 60L tank. Remember that our bottom-dwelling axolotls dont care how tall the tank is as long as they can turn round! It's perfectly transparent and the lid is hinged which makes water changes and feeding that much easier. A few air holes drilled in the lid and you are good to go! (Assuming you have a filter for it).

After the 1 month quarantine period, you're keen to let your adult meet the juveniles but are worried about them hurting one another. You can make a fantastic divider for another £3! Look for 7 count plastic canvas on ebay, its a clear plastic mesh and comes in a variety of sizes. You should be able to get an appropriate sheet for around £2. Next look for aquarium divider suction cups, again ebay is your friend! You can get a pack of 5 for around £1 from hong kong so if you order them when you get the juveniles, they should arrive before the quarantine period is finished.

There you have it, £6 for a spare tank and divider that will allow you to easily introduce new juveniles to your adult tank. Compare this to £10 for an official aquarium divider and at least £40 for a tank with the same floor space (might be able to snag a second hand one for £30).

raizou

Reaction score
My tanks running on an aqua clear for a 50 gallon. since theres more than enough filtration ill see if i can find some mesh at a local craft store. If i can't find it I don't mind setting up a 10 gallon for quarantine and growing him up a bit. Thanks everyone for the answers!

E

Elise

An adult is quite capable of fitting a juvenile in its mouth. I wouldn't recommend keeping them together.
elise-albums-scary-don-t-look-here-picture32824-2013-03-15-bild-679.jpg

raizou

Reaction score
i took an old under gravel filter and used it as a divider. Then found some reptile caves that my leopard gecko outgrew and washed them out for the axolotl. Ill be adding a bunch of java ferns as I got a ton in my planted tank and might do a java moss wall as well. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• 2014-03-18 15.19.19.jpg
    2014-03-18 15.19.19.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,122
  • 2014-03-18 15.20.09.jpg
    2014-03-18 15.20.09.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 1,281
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1