Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls and Ghost shrimp?

will21

Reaction score
I sometimes keep a few ghost shrimp in my axolotl tank because they like to eat the shrimp is there any harm the shrimp could cause to the axolotl?

Ange

Reaction score
I have kept glass shrimp, I think the Australian equivalent, in my tubs for a long time & there does not appear to be any negative impact on my animals, no gill nibbling like feeder fish do. The shrimp have been very good at tank cleaning as they feed on biofilm which grows on all surfaces of the aquaria & also if you miss the odd poop from your cleaning they appear to dispose of that too. They even breed in the tubs readily. They do leave little strands of poop on the clear bottom of the tubs but this usually gets siphoned up & the remaining is used by the plants. I have noticed a few shrimp sitting on the axolotls at times but they don't seem irritated or worried in the least. Actually I consider the shrimp a very important part of the bio systems of my tubs for keeping the water healthy & clean, this is only my opinion based on my observations.

Kaosu

Reaction score
My other half and I breed malawa shrimp in all of our fish tanks. We have quite the colony living with out axolotl..she pucks them off but they breed fastet than she can catch them!

Its a great little echo system.

tech

Reaction score
I have used ghost shrimp as an occasional treat for my axolotls and they seem to like them. I will leave a few in the tank with my axolotls and they will usually get eaten within a day or so. I doubt the ghost shrimp will cause any ill effects on either your aquarium or your axolotl.

Ange

Reaction score
I recently had a tub that had an explosion of shrimp,100's, & they started irritating the axis a bit. I did remove most & left a few shrimp to continue their cleaning job, so I guess when the numbers get too high they can be a little annoying for the axis.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1