Help my axolotl his gills look weird

Newbylotl

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Newby is acting weird these past days like moving alot sometimes he eats and later he spits his food out ,( i just feed him worms )! Yesterday when i came home i noticed his gills looked weird, his left gill had white stuff on it, now atm it changed to a white spot with red. One of his other gills is curling while being really red. I don't test my water because when i bought my axie's they told me not to. Im really worried. Can someone please tell me what this is?
In case its funguss i have aquarium salt and black tea of needed
should i worry?? I tried adding pictures but i don't know how.
In case there is a need of pictures : its posted on my instagram @smolaxolotl

Test the water first, whoever told you not to is wrong on so many levels and clearly shows has no idea what he is talking about.

After you know your water quality, you can adjust it to being in acceptable ranges and then continue from there.

I dont do Instagram so posting pics on same platform you ask for help at (here) will be much better option.

Let us know what your water is like after you test it :)

There are a couple of ways to post photos
There is an "insert image" option above where we type replies where you can copy the URL of the photos.
Or above that is a paperclip where you can attach an image and choose file from your computer.
Hopefully that helps!

It's likely the water. My axie's gills went white briefly a while back. Turns out it was a dead worm I didn't notice.

One of my decorations is hollow at the bottom and worms occasionally sneak underneath and die inside it without me noticing right away.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back