Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Introducing Theo!

Geordane

Reaction score
Hiya!

New axolotl father here--to an albino named Theo!

Theo's been with me since the beginning of September, and here are some pictures of him I've taken in that span.

The first is on the day of his arrival. You can see his gills are shrunken little nibs. And for a while, I thought it was going to be like that for good.

The second one is the best angle he put himself into to show off his wonky right arm. This, I believe is a result of regenerating it poorly. I didn't notice it when I bought him, thinking he was just bending it to balance himself, but nope, it's really like that. But it doesn't affect his swimming much and doesn't diminish my love for him.

The third picture shows his gills have actually lengthened. He's a beautiful redhead now.

I feed him frozen bloodworms every day, and he's been steadily putting on weight. I've also tried feeding him mealworms, which he will only eat if cut in half. And an earthworm, which he will happily take the full, uncut length of. He hates sinking pellets, even if reduced to small chunks.

The pictures don't show it, but he lives in a planted tank, with a couple of terra cotta pots for hides.

Attachments

• P_20180905_112921.jpg
    P_20180905_112921.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 222
  • P_20180907_232244.jpg
    P_20180907_232244.jpg
    813.6 KB · Views: 201
  • P_20181003_000539.jpg
    P_20181003_000539.jpg
    526.6 KB · Views: 200

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Don't worry about the mealworms, they're not the best diet anyways. If he likes earthworms feed him that every day and bloodworms sometimes :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!