The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Helena
(Helena)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Helena has started on the right path
Default Fire belly newt stages - aquatic??

I just got my baby newt - he's 4 months old. I was told to not put deep water into his setup and make it mostly terrestrial, because he could drown. But I've also seen threads on here were people raise their efts aquatically. Is he too young to start breaking the terrestrial phase? I also read that it is easier to feed them aquatically and they grow much stronger that way. Do they just start swimming when they feel like it or do you have to "push" them to be aquatic?

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Koolasuchus

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Koolasuchus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fire belly newt stages - aquatic??

I used to have efts that I raised from larval form, and when they were terrestrial, my tank had about 1 half centimeter of water, and large islands with ecocarpet, and small rocks. When they were ready to go into the water they did, and I put them into their aquatic tank. you may note that my efts seemed slightly larger than most, and you can adjust the level accordingly. I hope that this helps.

Koolasuchus is offline   Reply With Quote