Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

breeding to sell

ali000

Reaction score
Hi just thinking way ahead of myself as I've only just got my first axie:eek:
but do any of you breed for selling onto shops etc? is it profitable (don't mean to sound cold hearted and money orientated:eek:) and do you need to be a registered breeder, if so how do you register?

the main reason I ask is that we have 2 very large fish tanks and have had many fry in the past, and even caercillian worms, but we have struggled to sell them to shops.... they always say that they only buy from breeders but will gladly 'take' them off our hands if we so wish..... yeah right!!!!

anyone else had any experience of this?

thanks
Alison

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Basically, no, it's not profitable. It's a total money-sink. Start-up involves starting cultures of food in order to feed the larvae. Then you have to have the space to maintain the larvae, the food, the parents, and keep that all climate-controlled (from heat in the summer). Then you have the time-consuming task of feeding the larvae religiously, and cleaning up after them. Then, if you're lucky to raise the larvae to sellable size, you have to find someone to take them. Then, rarely do they want to pay your price (look on the for-sale section and see how many free axolotls there are), so you end up holding out for a higher price (and feeding them all the while), or selling them for cheaper and not recouping your costs.

ali000

Reaction score
Thanks
all the time and effort I see as fun, but I wouldn't want to be stuck with 40+ axies:eek:

so like fish, the shops make an absolute killing without any effort:mad:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Haha! That's for sure. I sold my axolotls for $5 to the local shop, and they sold them for $20. But I'm just glad to see them go to a reputable place.

ali000

Reaction score
I suppose the main thing is they go to somewhere good. I can't understand breeders that then sell to places that keep them in appaling conditions. if they are not doing it for money and obviously not for love then why bother:rolleyes:

philbaker76

Reaction score
I raised loads last year - (raised for fun), if you are going to raise to sell; do it now-ish - so you have pleanty of natuarl food (from ponds etc in summer). ...so if you don't raise too many, you might make a little money by saving on the feeding.

When they're old enough try and sell them yourself via free ads and maybe a few to local Aquatic shops (rather than pet shops), they have a much better grasp on water quality etc.

But, as Kaysie said - there isn't much money in it - I've broke even, maybe I'll make about £50.00 if I'm lucky. ...not good "business" for about 6 months work :) ...it's a hobby for me - and I've got a good outlet for them; if I do get too many.

...it is great fun raising them Alison!

benw

Reaction score
i totally agree that its not profitable, i bred loads a few years back and it took ages to move them on, but from a hobby side of it you cant beat raising your own young, and looking at a nice adult axy, or whatever, and thinking - yeah i raised that!!

ali000

Reaction score
I'm really interested/excited in breeding them, I have 1 axie but have just been given a new 4ft tank from freecycle, so want to get him/her a mate (once I know what sex it is) trouble is I have to justify myself to hubby:eek:, it's not so much that I want to make a profit, more that I don't want to be left with loads that I can't look after:(
we had a bad experience when our sailfins bred (hubbys a fish enthusiast) and we couldn't even give them away :(

benw

Reaction score
Dont be put off by breeding axyies, but be prepared for the potentially large amount of live food the youngsters eat, of course you can expect to lose a fair number but be realistic about how many you eant to untimately end up with, source potential outlets to move on the younsters.

Have fun doing it, and remember advice is always available on here!!

Ben

crested crazy

Reaction score
See I can never find axies for sale..And my family owns a pet shop
and are trying to find axies for sale...So where do you go to find them? lol

Kudos

Reaction score
Breeding axolotls is very non-profitable...... and finding them homes is the hard part.... I still have about 13 looking for homes..... Their food is so expensive and they are constantly wanting it XD

philbaker76

Reaction score
Definitely have ago at raising some Alison. I wouldn't try and raise too many to start with - raising a few is much easier and a lot more fun.

Rather than waiting for your two to become adults, have a look on the for sale, trade and give away section of the forum - get a bit of spawn in. In-fact, I'll send you some if/when mine spawn (they haven't spawn'd yet this year!).

ali000

Reaction score
Thanks for all the encouragement:D

and thanks for the offer Phil, I'll hold you to that (obviously I'll pay etc) I think what I'll try is get some eggs (as you have suggested) and see how well I cope rearing them before I commit to another adult axie and have to end up separating them because they are at it like rabbits:grin:

I still want to get Askey a friend but perhaps I'll wait and maybe get one the same sex!!!!

Thanks again, this site is fab and so helpful

philbaker76

Reaction score
Yeah, still get another Axolotl - in a 4ft tank, you could have a few. I'd still go for a breeding pair maybe a mixture of colours, so you don't know what colour spawn you're going to get each time :)

PM me, so you're in my inbox - and I'll let you know when my lot spawn!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They're definitely fun to raise. Cute little guys too. Just raising hundreds is a poor idea.

Good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1