Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha rivularis question

calinewt

Reaction score
Hello, I was just given a couple newts from a friend; she thought they were both California Newts, but I immediately saw that one was actually a Red Bellied Newt. After my initial excitement that I had acquired this new (to me) species, I realized I had no knowledge of their care...Has anyone here kept Red Bellied Newts before?
I did figure out that I have a male--he has a very clear stripe across his vent...
She had kept them together in a semi-aquatic setup for about a year with no issues. They were wild-caught on her mother's property where apparently newts are running rampant (sounds like a great place to live!). Anyhow, any care info. would be appreciated! Thanks!

warrior

Reaction score
Ive kept them before and they wer'e cool to have as a rare keep for many caudate keepers.They are very shy and should be kept in a terrarium type set up. A paludarium type would be good.A basic terrestrial set up with some source of water and some cave type hiding spots as they are shy.As for the food earthworms,wax worms,slow moving crickets.If you could post pictures that would be great too. Check the photo gallery and the vivarium photo section on this board for set up ideas.

calinewt

Reaction score
Thanks! I have him with my Cali's right now, and their tank is mostly terrestrial with a pretty good water source as well as multiple hiding spots. I will post some pics of him, his Cali friends, and his enclosure as soon as I can.:happy:

calinewt

Reaction score
oops, I really need to check in more often... He's doing well, he and the other cali newts are getting along well, as well as their three pacific tree frog friends...he is not as shy as I thought, as he now tries to grab my fingers when I feed him and the other newts--its very cute. I'll try to get some shots of him and his buddies over the next week...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1