Axolotl newbie!?! PLEASE HELP?

SashaPollak

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Sasha
Okay,First off hellow everyone! I am new to the website and a soon to be axie owner (one true albino and one melanoid )! I have a 5 and half foot by 2 and half foot tank but that's all I have have at the moment and am receiving 2 axolotl juveniles (around 2 inches long) and need to know what to get! I'm on a tight budget and want to know how long they will be able to last in just the tank. What food should i buy? What plants? what else? Also are there any foods that I can start a culture in my house? they are currently eating frozen bloodworms. I also have been looking at some plants for my tank at my local petsmart and have found some ed tiger lotus ,Java moss, Java fern , Dwarf sag, Brown crypt wedntii, asian ambulia, Hemianthus Micranthemoides (Pearl weed), Rotala rotundifola , Hogswort , Hygro (not sure the type) , and some
Anubias which one would be best for my axies? :happy: The photos are of the parents and one for my axies

Attachments

• mom.jpg
    mom.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 1,529
  • baby.jpg
    baby.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 592
  • dad.jpg
    dad.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 3,035
Thats a nice big tank but best to keep them in a smaller one till they are bigger , any food you put in there will get lost.

Should I keep them in a small 1 gallon tank until they get bigger? Also should I keep them apart or together?

One gall would be fine for now. If you keep them together there is a risk they will take limbs of each other, I personally dont keep larvae in separate tubs but many people do, its your call. If you decide to keep them together make sure they stay a similar size as they grow to prevent cannibalism.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back