Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Axie owner!!

MrsNubcake

Reaction score
Hi!

We have 2 baby Axies, Lottie and Dash, they're about 9 weeks old. Dash is about 1 1/2 inches and Lottie is just a little smaller. Dash has his back legs although doesn't seem to use them much yet and Lottie is nearly there. There is a big 67 litre tank set up and cycling ready for them, I hate having them in the tub. How long should i wait before putting them into the big tank we have for them?
The breeder recommended we keep them in a (fairly) small Tupperware container with just normal tap water, which i (having read a lot on this site) think is wrong. So i moved them into a big tub when i got them home. I've been a little worried about changing their water conditions suddenly so I've been keeping them in half dechlorinated, axie friendly water and half tap water. Am i right to change it gradually or would it be best to just get them out of tap water completely as soon as possible?

Thank you!!

Quentari

Reaction score
I'd personally just get them out of the tap water, the chlorine in it could be pretty toxic. If the temp and the ph are about the same it shouldn't be too stressful

pookiewn

Reaction score
How long has your tank been cycling and what stage are you at?

Keeping the axies in tubs for now is fine, as long as they are in decolorinated water with daily water changes. If your water provider doesn't add chloramines in your supply it will be fine to let water sit for 24hrs to remove the chlorine. To find out what your water supply is google water quality for (insert postcode here).

Welcome to the wonderful world of axies!

MrsNubcake

Reaction score
It's been cycling just under a week now. Ammonia is just about fine but the nitrites are still a little high.
I've just put them in fully dechlorinated water, thank you for replying so quickly :)
Just out of interest at what age/size would you move them into a larger tank?

pookiewn

Reaction score
It generally takes about six weeks to fully cycle a tank. I would have thought that by the time the tank is ready, the axies should be confident at sniffing out food and ready to go in.

Its an accepted rule around here that we need pics of the axies please, especially as they are little lotls! ;)

narny101

Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful, scary, and fun world of axis, I got my first axie on Saturday! Her name is Luna and she loves pretending to be dead so I freak out, doing crazy things with the fake plants, sitting under the filter for hours on end, and eating everything ( including my fingers ��)

Greetings from Aus

MrsNubcake

Reaction score
Pookie, i'm having some issues with my computer, i just got a new one and the software for my camera won't work with windows 8 -.- As soon as it's sorted i will get you those pictures!
I'm glad you're enjoying having axies too :) how old is luna?

MrsNubcake

Reaction score
This is lottie , dash wouldn't stay still with a camera in his face. Fingers crossed the attachment works as am on my phone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 211
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!