Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The Torosa family?

chezr

Reaction score
Looking good! I never used to have luck with aquarium plants in the past until I got serious about starting a newt tank. I did some reading over at plantedtank.net and went through a great book titled "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" which covers the science behind no co2/fertilizer planted tanks. My plants were really unstable in the beginning and I felt like they were always just a day away from completely melting, but after about four months everything started growing like crazy. I'm almost at the six month mark and my biggest problem now is cutting everything back each week. I like watching the plants fill in and propagate almost as much as I like watching my newts and shrimp.

Anyway, it looks like you're off to a good start and I hope the plant advice you got pays off!

tyzoone

Reaction score
I know Seth! His tail has grown and flattened exponentially and I've kept the water real cool this winter. Don't know what I'd do if I got eggs but it'd be cool if I did. I'm sure y'all could help me through the process if so.

tyzoone

Reaction score
Chezr, I have noticed that as the days go by the water becomes much more clear and the plants seem to be much more healthy. I'm just too impatient sometimes…. I guess it's just the waiting and not moving stuff around to my liking game for now. I'll keep everyone posted with pics.

There is a lot of amplexing going on with these shameless little newts. I have to explain what's going on to my 4 year old so he doesn't think he's trying to kill her….

otolith

Reaction score
You'll be thinning your elodea back in no time, its a great nutrient sump and grows amazingly fast. Added bonus is that if your female comes into breeding condition its also a great laying medium. The trickiest thing about breeding Taricha seems to be conditioning the females, your male is very clearly ready to go.

tyzoone

Reaction score
Awesome I'm way excited that the sites back up as I'm a lost soul without my fellow caudate lovers!

Do females show some kind of breeding changes like a flattened tail etc? I haven't noticed any changes in her like I have the male.

sde

Reaction score
Awesome I'm way excited that the sites back up as I'm a lost soul without my fellow caudate lovers!

Do females show some kind of breeding changes like a flattened tail etc? I haven't noticed any changes in her like I have the male.

Yes, slight ones, not nearly as drastic as with males. Their skin does get a bit smoother, and their tails may get more flattened, only a very small amount though. Your females tail appears to be slightly flattened and skin slightly smoother than usual to accommodate aquatic conditions right now, actually.
Also, I would be very interested in the total length, and snout to vent length of your female, she seems to have a unusually long tail. I would also be interested in those measurements on your male :D -Seth

tyzoone

Reaction score
Hey all,

Here are some more photos to address your measurement inquiries as well as to show off my Grand T grans. I'd say the lady is 2 inches from nose tip to vent and 4 3/4 inches altogether.

Near constant amplexing going on as you can see. They are definitely lovebirds!

enough a my chatter....

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36067-1.jpg

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36068-2.jpg

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36069-3.jpg

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36070-4.jpg

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36075-8.jpg

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36074-9.jpg

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36073-7.jpg

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36072-6.jpg

C

Cliygh and Mia

:D:D:DThose are great pictures, and glorious news about amplexus! Hopefully you will find some eggs and the ranks of CB Taricha will rise!:D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I meant about the male's tail fin. It's much better developed now and he seems to be getting bulkier around his legs. I hope you get some eggs, its still rare for any Taricha species to breed in captivity.

tyzoone

Reaction score
Hey Guys
Snapped shots of my Tgran male walking around on my desk. He's been growing, shedding and amplexing like crazy!

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36206-22jpg.jpg

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36205-21.jpg

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36204-20.jpg

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36203-19.jpg

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36202-18.jpg

tyzoone-albums-t-gran-album3-picture36201-17.jpg

C

Cliygh and Mia

Have they bred yet? If they did, could you please give us pictures of them?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!