Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cycling products & general new baby advice

landonewts

Reaction score
Pardon for the post about a topic covered elsewhere, but I am trying to set up a tank for a baby axolotl, I’m guessing about 6 weeks old. The baby is about 2.5”(6.5 cm) long, and comes home today. I’m experienced with newts, having raised some that lived over 35 years, but am new to the world of axolotls.

I had a 10 gallon tank setup, and spent the last 6 days just running the filter and letting it settle, but I used sand as a substrate (before reading the sand is bad for little ones) and didn’t fully realize how involved actual cycling was, with all the testing and bacterial components, so need to re-do the tank, and figure out where to house my baby while I do that. So time is somewhat of the essence.

I plan to keep the baby in a small container and do daily water changes until I figure this out.

Are products like Dr Tim’s Ammonium Chloride Cycling solution and Live Nitrifying Bacteria good for cycling a tank, or a waste of money? I have ordered the API Master Test Kit in the meantime to check PH, ammonia, nitrates and all the rest.

I plan to keep the baby in a small container and do daily water changes until I figure this out. I will remove the sand from the 10 gallon tank and run the filter, but if the cycling products I mentioned will help, that will allow me to get the baby into a tank sooner rather than later, and reduce the stress of daily water changes.

Any and all help would be appreciated!

(There are multiple deep and scattered threads about cycling, and some of the information is conflicting. So that’s why I am collecting this into a new thread)

elustig

Reaction score
If you know anyone that has a fish tank, ask them to use their old filter/filter sponges/media (without rinsing or cleaning it) to seed your tank. If you do this, you are basically good to go and have almost an immediate cycle. Check a local fish store and see if you can get your hands on some there. Even if you just buy decor that has been in the tank a while, like driftwood, that will bring plenty of good bacteria into your tank that will help it cycle.

I personally have never used products like that, but if you do try it, let me know how it goes. Additionally, I have not had a problem cycling a tank with my axolotl in it. Though I made sure to do large (70% or more) water changes daily to keep the ammonia down. As you cycle the tank, you do not want to scrub every surface or rinse decor/filter super well, because you are getting rid of all the good bacteria. Also do your water tests daily to make sure you don't get a lot of ammonia, and remember that in higher pH waters, the ammonia has a much greater affect on the amphibian!

landonewts

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply! I did buy a product from Fluval that is supposed to cycle a new tank in days, but my baby is so small (2”) that even a 10 gallon tank seems too big. So I’m going to cycle the big tank and keep her in a smaller tank or dish until she grows to 3 or 4.”

Still will welcome any new baby advice, but she’s doing well right now!

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
the bottles of nitrifying bacteria are a great way to kickstart a cycle, you dont need to get dr.Tims ammonia but ive heard its a good brand if you cant find a cheaper generic pure ammonia.
i got my guys at about 2.5 inches and like you noticed they seemed pretty tiny for a 10gal, i just had the tank half filled and made sure the decor allowed for an easy route to climb if they want a gulp of air, tubbing is also a great option while you wait for your cycle to finish.

mine grew about 1 inch a month give-or-take a few cm, they ate bloodworms and pellets until they were about 3.5-4 inches then i added red wigglers to their diet. recently they hit the 5+ inch mark and i have switched to mainly worms (red wigglers and european nightcrawlers) with some repashy grub pie & Pellets tossed in when i dont feel like messing in the worm bin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1