Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ohio Herping (part I)...

Andy Avram

Reaction score
This year’s spring got started especially slow, especially in my corner of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:State w:st=
Ohio</st1:State></ST1:p. Luckily during an Amphibian Conference in <st1:City w:st="on">Columbus</st1:City> on March 15, while my home was locked in snow, central <st1:State w:st="on"><ST1:pOhio</ST1:p</st1:State> was starting to get moving. After the conference a few friends and I decided that we should be cruising for a certain salamander. A few years early I had success after the counterpart Reptile conference and we tried the same area. A walk out to a large wetland in a corn field produced a few Northern Leopard Frogs (Rana pipiens) and many calling Spring Peepers (Pseudacris crucifer crucifer) and Western Chorus Frogs (Psuedacris triseriata), but we were unable to actually see any of the little tree frogs. A little more cruising and at once we all saw it on the road and screamed out lout, “TIGER!”. After a very uncoordinated exit of the vehicle we were looking over a beautiful female Eastern Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma tigrinum tigrinum). I apologize but I am trying to learn my camera still and try to only use it on manual settings.

Here she is:
Tiger.jpg

<O:p
Here is the crew looking her over:
TigerCrew.jpg

From left to right: Jason, Carl, Dean.
Afterwards we split up and I followed Carl south to his house with plans to check out a neat area the next day. With Carl’s son, Ryan, in tow we headed out to a nice forest with lots of ravines, vernal pools and streams. We did alright hearing lots of frogs calling and seeming the common salamanders. After the sun came out the Wood Frogs (Rana sylvatica) began calling and I was able to catch three of them, all different colors. Unfortunately my picture of the pink female makes her look more tan, but she was definitely pink.
Nice rusty brown Woodie.
WoodFrog.jpg

Pink female with dark male
WoodFrogs.jpg

We were also able to turn up a very red Northern Dusky Salamander (Desmognathus fuscus) under a log.
Dusky.jpg

Fast forward to April 1 and we finally thawed out in NE Ohio</ST1:p and our salamanders began moving. I missed the overland migration by a day or two but a friend and I were able to find many <ST1:pJefferson</ST1:p’s Salamanders (Ambystoma jeffersonianum) breeding in a pond I made my work dig about 2.5 years ago. I don’t know where they were breeding before but this was a previously unrecorded population. I saw about 15 or so this night.
Female
JeffersonF.jpg

Male
JeffersonM.jpg

Also present in the ponds was the beginning of the Spotted Salamander (Ambsytoma maculatun) movement. I saw about an equal amount of Spotteds and about a week later or so the rest of them hit the ponds.
Here is one:
Spotted1.jpg

Here is another:
Spotted2.jpg

Afterwards we hit up another pond that we occasionally find a Small-mouthed Salamander (Ambsytoma texanum) or two. We hit it right on this night, seeing about 20 or so in a breeding. Our park district has about five locations for these salamanders as they are on the northeastern edge of their range here.
Male:
Smallmouth2.jpg

Female
Smallmouth1.jpg

During a conference for work at <st1:placeName w:st="on">Cuyahoga</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Valley</st1:placeType> <st1:placeType w:st="on">National Park</st1:placeType> a few other things of interest popped up, such as mating Snapping Turtles, <ST1:pJefferson</ST1:p and Spotted Salamanders laying eggs and a few other odds and ends. Back at work I found a new area for Northern Red Salamanders (Pseudotriton ruber ruber) in the park I work in. I found 16 larvae (most about 3.5-4”) in 30 minutes but no pictures.

Andy

Andy Avram

Reaction score
Glad you both enjoyed the post. I was out the other day and found some Four-toed Salamanders on eggs. I might post those up in a few also.

Andy

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: 回复: Ohio Herping (part I)...

Only noticing this now, tragically. Thanks Andy for posting these photos and the story. I really enjoy your threads and it makes me envious of your fieldherping knowledge and success ;).

lims

Reaction score
I don't understand, there's no account here, no photos or anything has something gone wrong with the thread?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!