The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 3rd March 2009   #1
Andrew Diaz
(tindomul1of9)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tindomul1of9 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Marbled bleeding from tail

I have two Marbled salamanders and lately (for the past 4 weeks or so) they have both been highly visible, a definite change in behaviour. Which also allowed me to see I have been feeding too many wax worms. The one with the greyish stripes ( I suppose this is a female) is obviously obese. Today, I took a close look and she was bleeding from a few spots in her dorsal side of the tail. Is this a disease I should be worried about, or bites from the male? I am assuming bites because she otherwise looks normal. I picked her up and flipped her over to see if she would flip herself back, and she did and tried to escape. Even tried to bite me. What should I do??? I haven't seen the boy today, so I don't know how he is doing.

Please help, Clueless and don't know where else to turn.

P.S. I did see she had a swollen cloaca, or maybe that makes it a boy???

tindomul1of9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009   #2
Andrew Diaz
(tindomul1of9)

Nationality:
Default Re: Marbled bleeding from tail

I think I just realized what happened, I threw in some adult crickets into the tank not too long ago.
What do i do to prevent infection?

Old 4th March 2009   #3
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

You could probably go about this one of two ways. Option A is to just keep an eye on it and see how it goes or option B would be to use Neosporin. If the bite marks aren't to bad then I would go with option A. However, if you choose to go the Neosporin route, then make sure you get the kind WITHOUT the pain relief ingredient. Oh, also if you choose the Neosporin then it's easier if you seperate the female and keep her in a simple setup, i.e. moist unbleached paper towels and a hide.

later,
Justin

Old 4th March 2009   #4
Andrew Diaz
(tindomul1of9)

Nationality:

Neosporin, I had no idea it was safe to use this sort of thing with Salamanders. Thanks.

Old 4th March 2009   #5
Justin
(Greatwtehunter)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 298
Comments: 24
Rep: Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11Greatwtehunter goes to 11

Here is a little article about some of the treatment options available for amphibians.

Old 4th March 2009   #6
Andrew Diaz
(tindomul1of9)

Nationality:

I was acutally reading up on all those articles and now what I thought was obesity is what I now know to be bloat. My marbeled's condition has very quickly deteriorated from semi active to not active at all. Im not sure if its still alive. When I was sure it was still breathing, I put it into some amphibians ringers solution. However now it seems to be dead or mostly dead. I don't think she is going to make it.
And now I am worried about the other one. They both started acting strangely at the same time, and I have not seen the other one is some time now. I have no clue where they go to hide, sometimes they just disappear for a few months. I hope the other one is ok.

Tags
bleeding, marbled, tail