What to feed and when to feed it?

Jaws

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you could help me out here, I have plenty of different foods for my axolotls but i don't know which ones to feed them and when to feed them?

The foods I have are- Earthworms, Axolotl pellets, frozen bloodworm, frozen beef heart and crickets.

I'm not sure about crickets, but the rest sounds like perfect Axie food.

The staple (main food) should be earthworms. You can put in pellets, beef heart, and bloodworms as little treats. Again, I'm not sure about crickets, though. I only know what I do from reading different posts on this site.

Oh, and "when" depends on the age of your Axies. Juveniles need to be fed at least once a day, and once they reach adulthood, it moves to once every other day, and even less. I believe some people here have even feed once a week? Could be wrong, though. I thing the right amount also depends on each individual Axolotl. If s/he's too skinny, feed more. Too fat, feed less. Kinda like with a dog. :) (although with dogs, 'too fat' also means more exercise)

I was feeding mine frozen bloodworm cubes, which work great, but are a really messy cleanup. So just recently I got freeze dried brine shrimp cubes which seems to work great! My axie really likes them too. Plus any leftovers float rather than sink, so it's a really easy cleanup. :)

Freeze-dried food is essentially void of nutrition. Fresh is much better, and there are ways around messy frozen bloodworms. Do a forum search on 'feeding jars'.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back